PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Taps - More Bacteria?

PapaSmiff
03-12-2010, 08:44 AM
This year, I made my taps on my lathe out of birch wood (cut down from my neighbor's lot). They seemed to work fine. I hooked them up to tubing straight into a 5-gallon bucket. I was actually quite surprised at how well this setup worked.

But now I'm wondering if they are more prone to collect bacteria, than plastic or stainless steel spiles. Anyone have ideas on this topic?

Bucket Head
03-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Yes, they are more prone to collect bacteria. Wood is considerably more porous than plastic and metal. Wood acts just like a sponge when wet.

Steve

PapaSmiff
03-14-2010, 08:25 AM
I can put a "finish" on the taps using Linseed oil. It cures to a hard surface and is considered "food safe", since it's also used on wooden cookware.

Do you think that would be OK?

KenWP
03-14-2010, 08:33 AM
With this short season you could use almost anything and not have much problems. One thing you could do is make extra and change them out in the middle of the season to fresh ones.

Goggleeye
03-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Last year, I carved several out of elderberry, and they worked fine. Taps might dry up a little sooner, however, last year my elderberry taps ran fine for a month, and we had several warm spells into the 60's and lower 70's. I have read that parts of the elderberry plant have natural antibiotic properties, so maybe that's why they didn't dry up. If production isn't going to make or break you, I would do whatever you are enjoying. I think it's pretty cool that you carved your own on a lathe.

Mark

Ausable
03-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Last year, I carved several out of elderberry, and they worked fine. Taps might dry up a little sooner, however, last year my elderberry taps ran fine for a month, and we had several warm spells into the 60's and lower 70's. I have read that parts of the elderberry plant have natural antibiotic properties, so maybe that's why they didn't dry up. If production isn't going to make or break you, I would do whatever you are enjoying. I think it's pretty cool that you carved your own on a lathe.

Mark

Hi - Thats great - I heard in times past Elderberry was used and was thinking about it - but - that is as far as it ever got. For years we had wild Red Elderberry growing down by the edge of out little swamp and could not identify it - so left the berrys alone. About five years ago we bought two Black Elderberry bushes to make some Jell and mystery solved. The Blacks are doing great as long as they are fenced in against the Deer. But - The Reds we leave for the birds....Gotta try Elderberry taps - thanks -- Mike

C.Wilcox
03-14-2010, 12:25 PM
I've read numerous discussions on bacteria build-up vs. antibacterial properties of wood in regards to wood cutting boards on other forums. It has been proven that wood does have antibacterial properties and in the case of cutting boards, have been proven more safe in regards to bacteria growth than other materials like plastic, in some studies. Does a wooden tap have antibacterial properties? I really don't know, but I'll stick my neck out and say that it would harbor no more bacteria than a plastic tap. It would be interesting to hear if Dr. Perkins has any input on this or if they've done research on it.

Goggleeye
03-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Hi - Thats great - I heard in times past Elderberry was used and was thinking about it - but - that is as far as it ever got. For years we had wild Red Elderberry growing down by the edge of out little swamp and could not identify it - so left the berrys alone. About five years ago we bought two Black Elderberry bushes to make some Jell and mystery solved. The Blacks are doing great as long as they are fenced in against the Deer. But - The Reds we leave for the birds....Gotta try Elderberry taps - thanks -- Mike

Mike
You probably have this figured out, but here is how I made the elderberry taps:
1. cut stems that are slightly larger in diameter than the hole you plan to drill ( I drilled 7/16 holes.)
2. I shaved off the bark till I got to the right size (I had a test hole drilled in a piece of wood) giving it a slight taper.
3. Push out the pith (foamy center) with a nail or something similar. I used compressed air to clean it well.
4. I drilled a small hole in the top so I could put a small screw in it so my wire to hang a milk jug wouldn't slide off.
5. Make sure when you set them that you tap them squarely with the hammer, and don't knock them in to far - they split very easily.
I slipped 1/2 inch diameter tubing over the end and into the milk jugs.

Mark

Oh, and we make elderberry jelly as well! Fortunately we don't have to fight the deer for them.

Goggleeye
03-14-2010, 12:58 PM
I've read numerous discussions on bacteria build-up vs. antibacterial properties of wood in regards to wood cutting boards on other forums. It has been proven that wood does have antibacterial properties and in the case of cutting boards, have been proven more safe in regards to bacteria growth than other materials like plastic, in some studies. Does a wooden tap have antibacterial properties? I really don't know, but I'll stick my neck out and say that it would harbor no more bacteria than a plastic tap. It would be interesting to hear if Dr. Perkins has any input on this or if they've done research on it.

I'm a HS Science teacher. I might have to put some students to work on this next year for their science fair projects. This would be a little more interesting than those "Under which light do plants grow best" experiments.

Ausable
03-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Mike
You probably have this figured out, but here is how I made the elderberry taps:
1. cut stems that are slightly larger in diameter than the hole you plan to drill ( I drilled 7/16 holes.)
2. I shaved off the bark till I got to the right size (I had a test hole drilled in a piece of wood) giving it a slight taper.
3. Push out the pith (foamy center) with a nail or something similar. I used compressed air to clean it well.
4. I drilled a small hole in the top so I could put a small screw in it so my wire to hang a milk jug wouldn't slide off.
5. Make sure when you set them that you tap them squarely with the hammer, and don't knock them in to far - they split very easily.
I slipped 1/2 inch diameter tubing over the end and into the milk jugs.

Mark

Oh, and we make elderberry jelly as well! Fortunately we don't have to fight the deer for them.

Mark - Thanks for telling me how you made them - I really didn't know. I've been reading some of the posts where they run plastic tubing from their spiles and into 5 gallon pails on the ground. I think the Elderberry spiles might work for this method too - will have to try it out. Thanks again -- Mike