PDA

View Full Version : 10" filter press capacity

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
03-12-2010, 05:00 AM
I was wondering how much syrup everybody is typically getting through a 10" full bank filter press. I used to have a 7" and traded it this year. I may not be putting enough filter aid in the syrup to keep the papers from clogging. When I tear the press apart to clean, should the open plates be pretty well full of the filter aid? How much filter aid should I start mixing in the syrup to get it to cake up right?

ziggy
03-12-2010, 06:31 AM
I have been getting 100 - 140 gallons, never seem to be able to get completely full

mapleack
03-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Jeremy, here's a link to uvm's filterpress pamphlet, its got recommended amounts for 10" presses. http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/filter_press_brochure.pdf

Haynes Forest Products
03-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Buffalo How much gets thru depends on the temp, fliteraid, did you prefilter, how much gunk your getting, how hard you run the press, and lastly how you introduce the filteraid. I filter when the finisher is boiling for 30 gallons of syrup in my 7" I put about6-8 cups of aid and keep it stired up with the skimmer and turn the pump on to circulate back to the finisher still stiring and when the syrup is nice and clear and I know all filters are in right and tight I run to bulk. I dont pre filter so I only get the 30 thru it. The guage will be pegged but the plates will be full and I mean full. I let drain and toss the cakes. From the way the filters look I could put them back in and reuse.............I never have but they come off the cakes clean as can be.