PDA

View Full Version : Gritty maple cream

sweetwoodmaple
03-14-2005, 07:37 AM
What is the usual culprit for gritty maple cream? High invert sugar? Not stirring long enough? Too low boiling temp?

If invert sugar is an issue, is there a test that is readily available? I am familliar with the Clinitest tablets, but they don't seem to be readily available anymore.

I though I had this maple cream licked, but a recent batch has really been frustrating...

Thanks!

Brian

maplwrks
03-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Gritty or grainy maple cream is usually caused by under cooking and/or stirring before it is cooled. I always cook to 235 degrees then put in freezer for the night. The next day,I pull it out and let it warm to room temp, then stir. Don't get discouraged, I messed up a lot of batches before I got it down pat. Remember, you can always recook it and make candy or maple fudge with it.

sweetwoodmaple
03-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks. So, you cool it without stirring until the next day?

The receipe that I was using said 235, then cool to 125 and stir until small crystals form. 125 degrees doesn't seem low enough, but does make it easier to pour into containers.

Brian

brookledge
03-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Brian,
125 is to hot. room temp around 60-70 stir until it losses its sheen. It can take a while. Once you master it you can use alittle cream to act as a seed for the next batch to reduce the stirring time. As far as invert sugar I use clinitest tblets and do not know any other way to test for it. Use a light syrup. If you cool to room temp and stir long enough I think you will get it Some times for me 30 -45 minutes but when it loses its sheen and sets up it is like eating frosting ,nice and smooth with no granulation.
Keith

sweetwoodmaple
03-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Thought that was too hot as well. I have cooled down to 80 or so in the past, but the link from Terry suggests Freezing overnight. Very interesting doing it that way.

Again, that guys makes 5 tons of cream per year!!! 8O 8O 8O

maple2
05-12-2006, 06:19 AM
[trquote="sweetwoodmaple"]What is the usual culprit for gritty maple cream? High invert sugar? Not stirring long enough? Too low boiling temp?

If invert sugar is an issue, is there a test that is readily available? I am familliar with the Clinitest tablets, but they don't seem to be readily available anymore.

I though I had this maple cream licked, but a recent batch has really been frustrating...

Thanks!

Brian[/quote]

maple2
05-12-2006, 06:25 AM
[trquote="sweetwoodmaple"]What is the usual culprit for gritty maple cream? High invert sugar? Not stirring long enough? Too low boiling temp?

Thanks!

Brian
[/quote]
try covering the pan while cooling. it prevents crystiles from forming on top, which mixes into the syrup while it sturs