PDA

View Full Version : First year with new Mason 2x3

justlookingon
03-11-2010, 06:17 PM
This is our first year making syrup. We bought a 2x3 WF Mason evaporator. We are running about 1-1.5" of sap in the pan.

After reading up on the Leader 1/2 Pint which I assume is a similarly sized evaporator, I expected that we'd take off 1/2 pint of syrup every hour or so. Instead of small drawoffs like that, we are getting less frequent, but larger drawoffs like 2-3 quarts. Today we had some concentrate from our last boil left in the pan. After 2 hours of boiling, we took off around 3 quarts of syrup. Is this normal? We are testing with a hydrometer and reaching the "hot test" red line before we draw off. I'd be interested to hear what others with a Mason pan are doing. THanks.

JuniperHillSugar
03-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Justlookingon:

We are running a Mason 2x4 for the first year and have taken a different approach. I try to run the temp up to boiling plus 5 or 6 degrees and then start to draw off with just a slow trickle, through a filter and into our finishing pot. We then finish on the gas finisher and check this with the hydrometer for the final consistency. Then we run through the cone filter and bottle soon thereafter, at 180°F.

As a rookie to this setup, we've been nervous about the chance of a boil over in the pan if we try to finish in the big pan. With the slow drip coming out most of the time, it works for us. Good Luck.

Doc
03-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Okay....not that I know what I am doing but I have a Mason 2x3 that we named "6" that I am using for the first time this year. The previous year of syruping was on a Turkey Fryer so am not real experienced on anything but waiting. :)
I sweetened the pans right up to syrup taking about 12 hrs and since we bring the syrup at the drawoff up to "hot line hydrometer" and this has been 222 degrees one night and 220 degrees tonight. I have noticed that the temp would increase a little as I was filling a quart container but would only draw off a quart each time. By doing this I'm sure that I'm leaving some syrup in the pan but I also am not drawing off any that's too thin.
We are also running the sap at about 1 to 1 1/2 inch in the pan.
I seem to draw off about a quart every 1 1/2 hrs and spend the rest of the time filling the preheater, fixing the fire, visiting, etc.
This has worked pretty well and had one real close boil over but saved it. That....was interesting!!!
:)
Keep the thread going so that we can learn.
Thanks.

Haynes Forest Products
03-11-2010, 11:05 PM
OK let the learning begin. When the prez of the USA gets into any airplane it becomes airforce 1 so if you put sap in a turkey fryer is it a turkey fryer or a maple syrup evaporator:rolleyes:

3rdgen.maple
03-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Haynes that would make it a propane guzzling maple fryer.

Doc
03-12-2010, 05:50 AM
Amen Brother....Amen!!!
:D

justlookingon
03-14-2010, 07:14 AM
So everyone is doing things a little differently......which is OK. You've got to work with what you've got! This has been very helpful-we've been to a couple of "seminars" on making syrup, but no one tells you things like when to start drawing off or how long to draw off from the pan-or how deep the sap in the pan should be or how much to add.......etc.

Anyway, had a friend check our bottled syrup with a refractometer. One sample (which ended up boiling during bottling and had sugar in the bottom) tested at a little over 68 brix. The second sample from another batch which wasn't overboiled came in at a little over 67. I'm happy with it as we're not selling anyway! Had great color and reasonable clarity. (we only filter once with a felt)

JUNIPER-sounds like you're doing nearly the same thing that I am, except that I'm hydrometrating (new word) before I draw and as long as the temp stays up there, I keep draining. When finishing, do you have to boil much or add more diluted syrup?

DOC-I just might try your method of taking a quart at a time. We had some concentrate in the pan when we started yesterday and had to boil for about 7 hours and then drew off about 1 gallon. Still got about 3/4" of concentrate left in the pan. Also, we've been running up to 222-223 to get 66 brix-I was thinking my thermometer needed to be recalibrated!
Thanks all!

ADKMAPLE
05-06-2010, 08:28 PM
I am seriously looking into a WF Mason 2x4 it seems as though they are a quality rig. I am abit nervous on its operation without seeing it in action though. I am familar with a larger leader drop flue that has its own float box etc. How did everyone make out on their units this year? This thread seemed to fizzle to nothing?

swampbuck
05-07-2010, 09:22 AM
This was also our first year boiling with a Mason 2x3. We had loads of fun making 19 1/2 gallons of syrup from 80 taps. Bill is a top notch craftsman, fabricating excellent equipment, for a very reasonable price. You won't find a more honest person. He was also more than happy to share his sugaring knowledge with us. We have been so pleased with his equipment quality and functionality, that we have already purchased a filter tank from him, and ordered a larger evaporator!

Matt

buxtonboiler
05-08-2010, 01:30 PM
This was my first year with a "real" rig. I have a Mason 2X4 with a homemade arch. I must say that dispite a lousy season, I love my rig. I boiled about 4 gallons on it this year. Sure went alot faster and better quality than the turkey fryer and steam pans from the past. I also have to say that Bill (Mason) does outstanding work and is very helpful and knowledgable. He also has a new web site for anyone interested.