PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Testing Cup

SeanD
03-11-2010, 04:26 PM
I got the idea to make a PVC testing cup here and all went quick, cheap and easy. I used a PVC glue for potable water lines. The problem is I can't get the solvent smell out.

How can I get that out? Should I just dry fit the cap on the end? It makes a really snug fit and would probably be water tight. What do people who pipe sap lines into their shacks do?

Sean

C.Wilcox
03-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Sean,

PVC may get really soft at 212+ degrees, depending on the thickness of the pipe wall, and could give off undesirable odor and chemicals. Have you tried it with boiling water to see if it will hold up?

SeanD
03-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Not yet. The chemical smell is a deal breaker first.

DanE.
03-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Here is my cheep cup. bought it at lowes for $7 + tax on Sunday. it is copper core with chrome plating, 1.5" by 12" all it is missing is the handle, but that is what leather gloves are for. And no, it has not been certified as food grade.

Dane.

KenWP
03-11-2010, 07:51 PM
What the hell is it. And it looks just fine. I used PVC last year and it held up just fine to hot syrup. This year I found a wider mouth steel thermos that somebody lost the top to for nothing ad it works just fine. I fill it up and get it warm and then fill it again and am set.

madmantr
03-11-2010, 08:02 PM
where di you find that what is it for?
thanks

DanE.
03-12-2010, 04:58 AM
I figured someone would identify it and tell me not to use it.

It is a 1 1/2" kitchen drain extension with a 1 1/4" cooper cap soldered in the inside on the bottom.

Dane.

SeanD
03-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the Thermos idea. I remembered I had one that I'd never used, too small for all the coffee I drink, but perfect for syrup. It holds two cups and it appears to be stainless, though there's no stamp on it. The handle is just an inverted 3M hook rated for 5 lbs. It even comes with a handy carrying case!

Thanks again,
Sean

Ausable
03-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the Thermos idea. I remembered I had one that I'd never used, too small for all the coffee I drink, but perfect for syrup. It holds two cups and it appears to be stainless, though there's no stamp on it. The handle is just an inverted 3M hook rated for 5 lbs. It even comes with a handy carrying case!

Thanks again,
Sean

Hi Sean - Looks close to what I use - Mine is stainless and is called a briefcase thermos and so far works pretty good for a hydrometer. Like your handle idea - didn't know what to use for that. As For Coffee - ha - might be about right to carry the half and half in.... Mike

wnybassman
03-14-2010, 03:21 PM
This is why I like this site. I too have a very small stainless thermos that is way too small for coffee, but perfect for this! :cool:

Haynes Forest Products
03-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Why do you need a handle for the thermos they dont get hot:rolleyes:

Buckeye mapler
03-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah, but when you are scooping the syrup to fill it and and it all doesn't go in and runs down the thermos, that could hurt. The hanlde gives you a little distance.

eschoon
03-22-2010, 08:16 AM
You could make a handle out of a bent piece of copper tubing (left over from your preheater or even from a scorched preheater) and 2 SS hose clamps of appropriate size. Dad used one like that on his large SS thermos as long as I can remember.

umpwood1
03-22-2010, 09:36 AM
I made one out of a piece of 2" pvc with a cap on the end. I fastned a garage door handle on it with s/s pipe clamps. Workd great.
Regards,
Umpwood