PDA

View Full Version : Broken CDL Pressure Pump - need help

OneLegJohn
03-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Bought a used 250GPH CDL RO from a well known dealer in NH. It was a "couple years old" with new membranes. When I got it, turned out to be an '02 model. But I couldn't send it back, I HAD to start processing. So I'm up the creek. About 1000 gallons into it, she started making a loud screach when the pressure pump was turned on. I called CDL and they said "bearing needs replaced" but it was "ok" to run. Shortly after, she started sparking and quit. The motor will not turn at all and dims the lights real bad.

Anyone experience this problem? I don't know what I need to replace, but I would consider overnighting each possibile part it could be. Is it designed with a coupler? We tried to drop the motor but it only seperated about 1/4" from the pump frame. What is the secret? Did we heat the motor shaft up and weld it to the bearing? We need help bad as we just expanded our operation and we need to process syrup to pay for the investment. Funny this is, I could have paid $1000 more for a new one. I will never buy used again.

OneLegJohn
03-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Correction: well know vermont dealer.

KenWP
03-10-2010, 10:55 PM
What idiot told you it was okay to run it with a bad bearing. Thats like running a motor with no oil its going to go sooner then later.

maplwrks
03-11-2010, 05:26 AM
Pull the pump off and take it to CDL USA in St. Albans. They may have one on the shelf that they may be able to get you going with. I had a bearing go in my Lapierre yesterday and Lapierre had one on the shelf to give me while mine is getting repaired.

Russell Lampron
03-11-2010, 05:34 AM
Mike Nate is in Ohio. That would be a long drive for him to get to St. Albans, VT. Nate call CDL and tell them your problem. They should be able to get you back up fast. I hear that they have good customer service. If it wasn't so far away I would bring my RO over so that you can see that I'm not BSing you when I tell about the flows that I am getting now.

maplecrest
03-11-2010, 05:59 AM
r/os are like cars got to trade when warranty is up

802maple
03-12-2010, 06:27 AM
If it is a turbine pump, it will be darn near impossible to fix in the field. If you don't handle it nicely all the sections will seperate and it will leak. It can only be put back together in a jig. As far as being told to run the thing, that is a very common answer as a lot of the time it will go through the season with a very bad bearing, unfortunately you were unlucky.

I would call CDL and ask who your dealer is, I think Cermak maybe near Mansfield is. See if they can help you.