PDA

View Full Version : First time tube tapping, need help!

SColum
03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Ok so I have made maple syrup for the past two years and am slowly adding more taps. I only have 20 on buckets right now and am looking into trying to put 15 on tubing. The problem is I know nothing about tubing or how to run it. I do not have a gret incline but I think it will be big enough if I start high on th first tree and finish low on the last. If anyone can give me basic knowledge about running tubing and even what to do with it at the end of the season I would really appreciate the help, because I feel a little overwhelmed reading some of the posts in this section. Thanks

farmall h
03-10-2010, 05:58 PM
SColum, if that is all you are putting on tubing you should be able to run it directly into some sort of container (55 gal plastic). Your right, start high at your last tree and secure it with an eyelet end fitting. Run your tubing trying to go around all the trees...try to get a visual before you start unraveling your tubing. Keep it rather tight. If you start at about 5 ft on your first tree you should have good grade to the barrel. Secure your last tree with the eyelet end fitting (get the type that flow through) w/ the through feed barbed fitting pointing down. Add tubing to your barrel. Next thing of course would be to cut in for your "t's" with spout. The length of tubing from spout to T should be 26" or so this way you can reach around the tree's backside next year. Definitely get somebody to help hold one end of the line and you hold the other so you can adhere the tube to the barbrd "T". (Surely you don't have the tubing tool)(you can warm up the tube end just by chewing it lightl or use hot water in a thermos. I used to chew them alittle) Be sure "T" points up. Ok...ready to tap. Feel free to post any more questions.

SColum
03-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Ok thanks alot. So for 15 trees what is the exact amount of T's and other parts I will need. This way when I go to the store I can just bring the list. When you say run your tubing around each tree, all I would have to do is wrap it around each tree correct. And is that to prevent sagging in the line. Sorry for the newb questions but I gotta learn some how ha ha

dgp219
03-10-2010, 07:24 PM
If you have the time go look at a tubing system at a local sugarbush and see how the 5/16 tubing is set up. If your grade is fairly flat you could put your sap tank in the middle and have two lines, That would increase the grade on each line. Also get a couple more t's and taps than you think you'll need. Just in case. Have fun!:D

SColum
03-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Ok cool. Also, the actual taps are still 7/16 correct, then you run the 5/16 line from the tap fitting down to a T to the "mainline"?

Revi
03-10-2010, 09:37 PM
You want to run the blue (or whatever color) tubing to the mainline and put in a saddle. Run a little loop of tubing to the saddle so that you aren't putting stress on the mainline and use a straight with a clip on it to stick it to the wire. Then attach the blue tube to that straight. Use your thermos of hot water to soften the tubing and attach things.

Revi
03-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Here's a pic of what I was talking about:

http://www.msad54.org/sahs/appliedarts/artlofving/IL/PortWebIL/SugarHouseAlbum/pages/MVC-012S_JPG.htm

SColum
03-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Ok thanks everyone I think I understand it now.

farmall h
03-11-2010, 05:42 PM
scolum, Revi is correct as seen in his picture but maybe he didn't read that you were only doing 20 or so taps. Dgp is more on your line of thinking. If you can put your tank in the middle that would save on a continual length of tubing. It all depends on how close your trees are to each other. Yes, you could go the full distance around one or to trees just to keep it tight. In your case you are not putting up a mainline so your 5/16 tubing will act as your mainline. You don't want to get to elaborate...you just want to get 'em tapped. 1 tap for tree 8"-18" diameter. Big momma trees can take up to 3 taps. Good luck.

SColum
03-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Ha Ha ya I figured I would not need a mainline bigger than 5/16. I will be tapping on saturday, so I will let you guys no how it goes. Thanks again

GANGGREEN
03-12-2010, 04:51 AM
I'm not plugging any particular product but I watched "the Sweetest Drip" DVD and it had a pretty good explanation of how to run the lines. That said, I'm having problems of my own after having run my first lines, see my thread requesting help. :lol:

I also did what dgp219 suggested and went to a commercial sugarbush. I found myself walking around saying, "oh, that's how you do it" for about 15 minutes before deciding that I had it figured out. Yeah, right. Seemed so simple when I was looking at someone else's lines. :)