PDA

View Full Version : Oil Recomendation for De Laval vacuum pump

Charlie Harding
03-10-2010, 01:03 PM
I've gotten a lot of suggestions as to what I should use for oil in my De Laval vacumm pump. Is there one that performs better than the others? I bought the pump from a man in Maine last season and he gave me a "recipe" for a mixture of oils he had used in the pump and had good luck with. This season I can't seem to find it.

maple-Q
03-10-2010, 01:41 PM
use hydraulic oil grade 48 or 68

Haynes Forest Products
03-10-2010, 07:18 PM
I dumped in everything I could find and it was fine. Keep in mind the pump doesnt have the same problems of a combustion engine. It have very low tolerances and no carbon to deal with.

arcticmaple8
03-14-2010, 09:19 PM
We just use hy-tran on our universal pump.

Ridgeland Farm
03-15-2010, 09:33 AM
use vacuum pump oil! They sell it at Tractor supply for 10bucks a gallon. its made for those dairy pumps.

danno
03-15-2010, 07:48 PM
I use SAE 30 non detergent in my Deleval 75. I was told non detergent was key.

Haynes Forest Products
03-15-2010, 08:01 PM
The reason for non detergent oil is no oil filter you dont want to dislodge gunk and crap to have it float around the system. I have never heard of a pump failure due to the wrong oil but lack of oil. If your trying to get heat away from the pump then a lighter wht oil will give the heat up faster. if your just dripping in oil at the old dairy rate then go with vacuum oil for the dairy pumps.

tom jr.
03-15-2010, 08:14 PM
This is my first year with vac and I am using 5w30 in my bou matic pump.
so far it seems to be working very well the oil in the tank is as clean as new
and is running pretty cool at 23 1/2" hg i also have a homemade reclaimer with a large hyd oil filter on the feed to the bearings. and by the way Haynes the oil bath air cleaner seems to be working ok just needs tighter screen mesh to catch the rest of the oil mist (i think)

farmall h
03-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Tomjr, for a cheap oil recovery jar..get yourself one of those water filter canisters (3/4" or 1" on the NPT) Don't put the cartridge in and your good to go. Use the oil over.

Haynes Forest Products
03-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Tom Great to hear the rig is working. if you have room wrap with close knit fabrick the Idea is ti get the mist to contact other droplets so the Coales together. The slower the air/mist moves the better the filtering.