PDA

View Full Version : Think this is about it

archangel_cpj
03-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Well looks like OHIO is about done I tapped a week and a half ago and there are no cold nites until next tues with a week of warm weather I'm unsure if Ill get one more run Ill stay tapped til next weekend at least.... If we dont get a run Oh well but at most there is one more week...

Haynes Forest Products
03-10-2010, 06:48 PM
I didnt make it to Wisconsin this year because the season started 15 days early and I was commited to a job till the 18th. Same thing happend 4 years ago and both seasons have turned out to be a bust as far as sugering. I dont want to see any season turn to crap. It is what it is and all we can say is THERE IS NEXT YEAR

Buckeye mapler
03-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Amen Haynes. I am anxious to start making the changes I want to make for next year already and I am not even cleaned up yet!

maplehound
03-11-2010, 06:32 AM
I had frost on my winshield this morning. Not much but enough that I may get a small run if the woods got as cold as my driveway.

Lazarus
03-11-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm definitely about done here. Boiled off the last of the sap last night. I would have liked to wait until the weekend, but it was so warm that my freezer pops (2-liters of frozen sap) would not stay frozen bobbing in the sap more than a few hours. Sap went in clear, but started to go a bit cloudy in the barrels, but I think it turned out fine anyway.

The last few days I segregated my sugar / reds from my silvers. My three-day old barrel of the former was 3.25%, and the silvers at 2%, so I went ahead and boiled it all, and drew off what was left in the pan. Now I get to stovetop finish it. I'll have totals shortly.

I'm pulling taps on the silvers as they are quite budded out now, and will wait a bit on the others in case we get a sudden cold snap, but since the evap's shut down and emptied, it's probably not worth the trouble.

Someone said when the frogs are singing, you're done. We heard the first peeps last night.

Mason 3x2 Evaporator

SilverLeaf
03-11-2010, 02:14 PM
I didnt make it to Wisconsin this year because the season started 15 days early and I was commited to a job till the 18th. Same thing happend 4 years ago and both seasons have turned out to be a bust as far as sugering.

Just curious, Haynes, why this makes the season a bust? Assuming that the temps go back to normal in a week or so (which I admit is not a for sure thing!), wouldn't this just mean that there'd be an extra long season?

Mackdaddy
03-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Anybody else seen a huge jump in sugar content this year? I tap strictly sugar maples and am currently running a 34/1 ratio. The past several years were closer to 50/1. I am in Central Ohio, just curious to see what everyone else is seeing.