PDA

View Full Version : oil burner

cronie
03-10-2010, 07:46 AM
anybody ever convert 2x6 from wood to oil? what size nozzle in burner?

maple madnes
03-10-2010, 08:31 AM
yes i did convert my 2x6 from wood to iol this season and its great. im useing a 3 gph nozel. by doing this i went from boiling off 35 gph up to 50 gph. Its worth the money.

maple madnes
03-10-2010, 08:32 AM
yes i did convert my 2x6 from wood to oil this season and its great. im useing a 3 gph nozel. by doing this i went from boiling off 35 gph up to 50 gph. Its worth the money.

gar
03-10-2010, 09:07 AM
when converting to oil you have to be carefull. First and most important is how big a nozzle will your burner take? Check the plate on your burner and it will tell you. Also there is a difference in nozzles besides GPH. There is solid and hollow nozzles. There is 80, 70, 60, degree and so forth. All this may not make a great big difference but it will make a differnece! Even to the point of the burner not working properly. Also if you have a small stack pipe you could be worse off than wood. If you don't have the right draft you could just fill your arch up with soot. Also the width of your fire box will determine the degree of the nozzle. Don't let all this put you off, there is alot of room for error, but if you want the most eff. keep all this in mind. Best if you talk with a oil burner service tech. or call the burner company that manufactured your burner. These guys are great, they ussually will help. Have your fire chamber size, vent size, and burner model ready when you call. If you have any question feel free to E-mail me.

cronie
03-10-2010, 11:03 AM
thanks for the feedback. I ve got some info to upgrade my current burner. hope it works

cronie
03-10-2010, 11:06 AM
yes i did convert my 2x6 from wood to iol this season and its great. im useing a 3 gph nozel. by doing this i went from boiling off 35 gph up to 50 gph. Its worth the money.

what kind of burner and stack size?

BRL
03-10-2010, 01:31 PM
On my buddies 2x6, he has a Carlin CRD burner with a 4GPH Nozzle and a 10" Stack. So much better then wood. With the addition of the steam-a-way this year we are getting close to 60 GPH.

mapleman3
03-10-2010, 02:09 PM
On the 2x6 I had, I converted it to oil, used a carlin 301 burner with a 3gph 80 deg. A I believe Centered in the firebox height wise. 2 layers of 2300 deg blanket over the brick so If I wanted to go back to wood I could. ran with 8"stack at a 500 deg stack temp. ran beautifully. I am contemplating changing over my 3x8 to help with my after work boiling. that with my auto drawoff I will be in heaven!!!

My 301 will go up to 7gph so I am all set!

maple madnes
03-11-2010, 06:25 AM
i have a becket burner and my stack size is ten inches. This works very well . My arch has tapered sides and i use a 45 degree nozel. I called leader and asked there tech guy and thats what he said works the best.

cronie
03-11-2010, 09:06 PM
I called beckett corp. and they told me to change the head and nozzle size. They were right , it works great.Very happy with outcome.