PDA

View Full Version : Extended warm spell--what to do?

maple marc
03-10-2010, 07:25 AM
We have a really weird season going on here in OH. Because of the snow, we couldn't get into the woods until 10 days ago. We've had a couple of fair runs. Now we have a warm spell and there is no freeze again in the forecast for at least a week. This is usually the prime of the season here. When you experienced guys see a week or more of no action, what do you do with the sweet in the pan? Do you treat it as the end of the season, chase the sweet and empty out? Then hope for an encore season? Chasing the sweet and starting over seems like a pain.

Your thoughts?

Marc

ennismaple
03-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I'd boil the syrup out of the pans if it'll be that long between boils. It's a pain but better than the syrup spoiling on you.

sap runner
03-10-2010, 11:42 AM
how long do let sweet product sit in the pan without a fire ?

gomish
03-10-2010, 11:47 AM
how long do let sweet product sit in the pan without a fire ?

I have the same question, have some in the pan and was figuring it should last at least as long as sap, with my average temp per day around 40 deg I was expecting it to be OK for 5 or 6 days , since it is boiled already???

Haynes Forest Products
03-10-2010, 07:00 PM
As you can tell I dont like the idea of CHASING THE SWEET. If your going to save what you have then shut the valve between the pans and fill the flue pan with water and use the heat to clean it and keep the syrup pans steady with the sweet. Turn your evap into a batch cooker.

sapbrush
03-10-2010, 07:48 PM
i have a half pint there may be a half of gallon of suryp in the pan with some sap how long will it be good for if i dont boil again for a week?????

gomish
03-10-2010, 08:09 PM
i have a half pint there may be a half of gallon of suryp in the pan with some sap how long will it be good for if i dont boil again for a week?????
I intend to let mine (about 1 gal) in the pan for 5 days. I would say it depends on the temp. If it is average 40 deg I expect it to keep 5 days. If pan syrup is no good by Friday when I fire up, I will post that is didn't keep. Had a killer run today, a couple 3 gal buckets were 3/4 full in 24hrs. Biggest run yet for me this year!

BoarsNest
03-10-2010, 08:16 PM
What's the best way to tell if the sap is spoiled. Smell, Looks or what?