PDA

View Full Version : cloudy product after the first 2 quarts

lafite
03-10-2010, 05:57 AM
I was wondering what I could do to clear up my bottling. I'm using Orlon with a prefilter. When I go to bottle, the first two quarts are beautiful and clear. After that, the rest of the bottling seems to be a bit more cloudy. I appreciate any suggestion from the pros on this forum!!

Steve

Cheshire, CT
2x4 Evaporator
45 taps
ONE MAN SHOW...god am I tired!!

ctjim
03-10-2010, 06:14 AM
try changing your pre filters, more pre filters or better yet filter it a 2nd time. what do the bottles look like after a day or so of setting?

morningstarfarm
03-10-2010, 06:50 AM
what we do is filter through a prefilter coming off the evaporator then finish it in a pot..next I filter through 6 prefilters and an orlon filter..secret it to keep the orlon abbembley as hot and damp as poss..I keep mine laying over the flu pan until I need it...mines been crystal clear o far

lafite
03-10-2010, 07:12 AM
thanks for the replies. I always filter coming off the evaporator. I've been preheating the Orlon as well. I'll try more pre-filters on my batch today.

The cloudiness does to move to the bottom after a couple of days.

Mike N RI
03-11-2010, 08:02 AM
We pour off in 4-5 gal batches into a 22 quart pot at about 68% sugar, bring up to 211F, adjust density downward, pour 2 gal immediately through 4 paper and one orlon, then carefully remove 1 paper filter & pour the quart or so into the 3 remaining filters. Then pour the other 2 gals of hot sap. We have had excellent results in glass bottles.

Maple Ridge
03-16-2010, 07:41 AM
I also had issues with filtering this past weekend. I always put the filters in a pot on the stove and bring them up to a slow boil. This week end I had cloudy syrup:( . I filtered a second time and it was a little better:cool: . I then brought the batch back out the the shanty and reboiled it, added a little raw sap and brought it to 66 brix. I filtered it again and it was clear:mrgreen: . This is the first time I had this problem. I would like to know what caused it. I have always used a cone filter with only one prefilter, and never squeez the filter, and it comes out clear. If more people are having this problem this year, what is it.