PDA

View Full Version : Big batch

Wanabe1972
03-09-2010, 05:07 PM
I know this question has been asked before but here goes again. My front pan on my 2x8 has got an 1 to 1 1/4 inch of almost syrup in it. Im about 2 degrees away from pulling off in the last section but I think the center section is closer to syrup. I know once you draw off the suger will go to its own concentration but its not up to temp yet. Ive never had this problem before in this evaporator. Im about to draw off in the last section and dump it in the first section to get the balance set up. Is this a good Idea or should I just let it be?

tappin&sappin
03-10-2010, 06:48 AM
Wanabe,

I often have this problem as well, especially in the beginning of the season if I haven't drawn syrup off yet.

What I do is... take your defoamer and put a drop of it near the hole in the divider between your center section and last section. Then a little while later, put another drop near where you are going to draw off.

The syrup will be 'drawn' toward that drop of defoamer. Also, if necessary, you can plug off your last section. This will force the last section to boil down more w/o being dilluted by the rest and will make you syrup. Just remember to remove that plug, otherwise you will become an 'official' sugarmaker in a hurry.

- Jake

Haynes Forest Products
03-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Wanabe Is that the section that is boiling the hardest? Can you get the fire towards the back of the firebox under the drawoff section? Is the rig the same as last year before you had this problem.

Wanabe1972
03-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the reponces and to answer both, yes this is the same rig with a different blower and grates. I now have a setup like the leader wood saver grates with holes and angle iron. I had to take two years off from boiling due to a house sitting in the middle of my old bush. I will try the defoamer like Jake said and the center section is boiling harder so I will work on the fire placement also. I think once I draw alittle things will get better.