PDA

View Full Version : My Turn I Guess...

mapleman3
03-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Well this season my head has not been totally into it.. My Mom has been battling Oral Cancer, back in august she had surgery to remove some of her gum and a bit of the side of her tongue. (smoker for many many years as was a lot of our parents) she had no chemo or radiation due to the doctors tests all came back negative for any spreading.. well they thought they got it all but it reared it's ugly months later in the healing process. so this past Thursday she went to Boston and had a 10 hour surgery. removal of more of the gumline and part of the jaw. titanium reconstruction and plastic surgery from skin of her wrist and a vein to rebuild her gum and tounge. She is still in Boston for another week or so but getting better every day. today was the first day since Wed evening that she could have any liquids in her mouth.. she was so Happy! . so Thursday of her surgery I had no sap, (my Mom wanted me to stay and make syrup) I shot out and was with her. My Dad and sisters have been keeping her company... I took yesterday off and spent the day with her as well. Today I actually talked with her on the phone. She is doing great.

My head is getting back into Maple more now! although still not getting a ton of sap, thats ok this year.

BarrelBoiler
03-09-2010, 01:31 PM
prayers for you and yours

the responsibilty of handle things for my mom have put me on the sidelines this year but being a true redsox fan......there's always next year

Rhino
03-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Hope your moms recovery goes smoothly.

cpmaple
03-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Sorry to hear that bad news hope the best for your mom and family.

Dan W
03-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Maple man, I have had all I could never want with cancer (my MIL and wife). I feel for you like you can't imagine. Hope your Mom does well and forget about sugaring-it is all about her!!! I wish her the best and a speedy and complete recovery!

mapleman3
03-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks Guys... Yeah she's strong... also strong enough to tell me I had better NOT stop sugaring for her LOL... she's great, Can't wait till she's home and in her element. never fun in the hospital.

red maples
03-09-2010, 07:15 PM
sounds like she's recovering nicely that's good to hear. unfortunitly We have all had cancer touch our lives in one way or another and it is not fun by any means. hopefully she will be home soon. Good luck with everything!!!!

Jerome
03-10-2010, 05:51 AM
Mapleman
I am glad she is doing well, I lost my mother to cancer in November, and now my dad (who is 88) is failing, I leave tomorrow for ten days to visit him. I have to much sap to leave in storage but not enough to do a boil, I just hope it does not get too warm here for the next two weeks.

Jim Brown
03-10-2010, 06:39 AM
Mapleman3; Sugar seasons will always be there,take care of your MOM

Our prayers

Jim

Maplewalnut
03-10-2010, 06:43 AM
Jim-thoughts and prayers with you and your family. Take care of mom, you like everyone else with a mom, owes her one:)

Mike

sapbrush
03-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Sorry To Here That Im New Here And I Live In The Same Town As You Do I Lost My Dad That Way A Couple Years Ago, Hang In There Ok

Haynes Forest Products
03-10-2010, 07:47 AM
Mapleman We all hope the best for your mom. Reading the posts of others what struck me was the fact that we all have been touched by someone with cancer. I Think about the people That are with us today that wouldnt be here if it wasnt for the great care givers in our lives. Sounds like your mom is in good hands. I was one that hated to start every conversation with "How do you feel today" But its a club alot of us are in so best to your mom. Most people going thru what she is going thru want things to remain normal. That will be your job All the best.

bprzyw
03-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Mapleman, Hope and prayers for your family and mom.

3rdgen.maple
03-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Have a friend who went through the same thing. He never lit cigarette in his life. It was many years ago but he recovered nicley and is doing good. Give your mom the best from the Trader members and a speedy recovery to her. Make her some good ole syrup so she can give it a good taste test when all healed.

Dropflue
03-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Jim,
Keep the faith. And share the moments with your family. I kinda know what your going through, sugaring; working; raising a family; and caring for loved ones.
I lost my Dad this November. First season without him in the sugarhouse.

Best to you and your mom.

Russell Lampron
03-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Jim I hope that your mom has a full and speedy recovery. She is right DO YOUR MAPLE. My son in laws father passed away 2 years ago from cancer and it was making syrup with me that helped take his mind off of it and made it easier to deal with.

mapleman3
03-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks Guys... Nice to have all the well wishes from you. I talked on the phone again with her today... Every day she seems to sound better and her spirits seem good! :) :)

brookledge
03-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Jim
Sorry to hear about your mom. I haven't spent much time on the trader lately since I have been busy. Well today when I woke up as soon as I stood up I fely dizzy so I'm on the couch for the day.
Anyways it sounds like she is feeling better now, Keep the faith
Give my regards to your family
Keith