PDA

View Full Version : Storing in mason jars - in fridge?

eastcoasttapper
03-09-2010, 11:04 AM
I am bottling into mason jars. But I am often using the lids from last year. So they may not have their rubber 100% like you would want if you were making pickles etc.

I'm bottling them above 180, putting on the lids and turning them upright for a few minutes. That's the whole routine.

Using this method do these bottles need to be refridgerated or will they last all year in a cupboard?

Riley/MN
03-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I reuse a lot of jars. If you put it in the jars hot, you should hear the cans "pop" when they seal

3rdgen.maple
03-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Like already said if you hear the tops popped then they sealed. You can also push your finger on the tops and if they make the clicking sound it did not seal. A sealed jar is good for the shelf a non sealed one is good for the fridge or a reseal job.

BarrelBoiler
03-09-2010, 12:21 PM
i have reused lids sometimes they don't pop on their own but if you just touch them they go pop if they stay down they are sealed if they pop back up they'er not

eastcoasttapper
03-09-2010, 12:25 PM
That's what I thought. Thanks! I didn't want to poison friends and family - well, maybe not all of them :)

Stickey
03-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Be careful with glass jars, I had an accident this spring that resulted in 4 stitches and a $2000 emergency room bill (good thing I have health insurance).

I got pictures, but I'll spare you the gore. When the lids get stuck soak in hot water, don't break out the tools.

BryanEx
03-09-2010, 03:58 PM
eastcoasttapper... I stored 4 cases (48 jars) in the cardboard cases they came in for the past year with no signs of mold growth. I find the trick for a really good seal is to drop the lids into hot water before bottling. The hot syrup will sterilize the lids but the hot water softens the small rubber seal around the edge of the cap providing a better seal.

Greg Morin
03-09-2010, 05:45 PM
why not just get a 5$ package of new lids? better than losing syrup to mold

Ausable
03-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi - We always wash and rinse our jars - when putting up syrup we fill several jars to the top with hot water and put a lid in each ring and place several in a pan with water and bring to a boil. As we start to can the syrup -we dump out the hot water to the jar we are using and fill with hot syrup and then with a pair of tongs fish a ring and lid out of the pan we had been boiling them in. Place the lid and ring on the jar and tighten - but - don't over tighten - my wife taught me that and most of the jars always seal - you will hear the little devils ping pinging away as they seal. Let them sit till cooled. You can look at them and tell if they have sealed or not - if in doubt press on the top - if it goes in - it is not sealed - this one is for the fridge --- happy canning -- Mike

Ausable
03-09-2010, 06:25 PM
I am bottling into mason jars. But I am often using the lids from last year. So they may not have their rubber 100% like you would want if you were making pickles etc.

I'm bottling them above 180, putting on the lids and turning them upright for a few minutes. That's the whole routine.

Using this method do these bottles need to be refridgerated or will they last all year in a cupboard?

Hi - Canning Lids are not made as well as they used to be -- So use new lids. To answer your question - if the jar sealed - it will keep for years in the cupboard. We have used Maple Syrup 7 or 8 years old and it was still sealed and the syrup still very good. ---- Mike

maplwrks
03-09-2010, 08:20 PM
If you get a jar that didn't seal, don't fret, throw it in the freezer and it will be just fine.

mike z
03-12-2010, 06:23 PM
I have the lower portion of the freezer reserverd for jars of syrup. They never totally freeze, and I believe it helps maintain that fresh out of the cooker taste. That could be my imagination though.