PDA

View Full Version : Getting a fair amount of sap so far

geaugajay
03-09-2010, 10:44 AM
This is our first year of tapping and we're taking all our sap to a neighbor with a fancy new evaporator. We tapped last weekend (50 trees) and so far have delivered to him:

75 gallons @ 2.5%
65 gallons @ 2.3%

The neighbor is saying that he'll either pay me for the sap or I can take finished syrup or any combination of both, but I'm not sure what a fair rate is for the sap this year. Anybody have any ideas for these concentrations?

Buckeye mapler
03-09-2010, 11:57 AM
go to search and type in sap prices or buying sap and there are several threads on it. I know someone said they paid .30 per gallon at 2.5% and it is prorated after that.

maplehound
03-09-2010, 08:56 PM
A friend of mine takes in sap and will split 50/50 for the syrup or pays according to the Maple syrup digest list price. I think for him it is better to pay for it than split 50/50.

I too have had a good few days of runs. I have 35 gallons finished with some sap waiting to be boiled. But from here on it doesn't appear to good, the weather is expected to get warm and stay warm for several days. So far I have made all light syrup but I am sure that will change quick if and when we get another run.