PDA

View Full Version : Baffle section names

eastcoasttapper
03-09-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm seeing that each baffle section has a certain name. I just want to clarify for myself that I know what you are talking about ;)

The baffle that the new sap is fed is called the flue baffle, and the baffle the almost finished sap is drawn from is called the sweet or syrup baffle?

And what is the middle baffle called?

PerryW
03-09-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm baffled. I never new they even had names?!.

3rdgen.maple
03-09-2010, 10:44 AM
What exacally are you refering to. The pans themselves or the divider in the pans. Never heard the term baffle used. There is a flue pan,a syrup pan and float box.

eastcoasttapper
03-09-2010, 10:56 AM
I guess we started calling them baffles as opposed to thing-a-ma-jigs :lol:

I was referring to the dividers in my pan, so thought the term baffle would be correct. I guess it's not the techinical term.

Anyway, my evaporator has one large heating unit that is divided into three parts. I guess those are called pans? And the middle pan is called the float pan. Can I ask why is it called the float pan?

3rdgen.maple
03-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Well now that I understand things a little better. What you got there is a pan with dividers. No flue pan no float box no syrup pan just one big pan with a divider. Never heard anyone call the divided sections in a pan a different name but then again I lack alot of sleep from marathin boiling. So if someone ask what is that section called you can say I dont know:D

eastcoasttapper
03-09-2010, 11:07 AM
:lol:

What kind of a system has a flue box, float box and syrup box - and not a baffle to be found?

3rdgen.maple
03-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Mine lol. Most rigs that have a 2 pan system do. There is a flue pan in the back that has raised or dropped (baffles) in the back and then it feeds the flat syrup pan in the front. The float box regulates the amount of sap it feeds the pans to keep the sap and syrup levels to the operators desired depth.

eastcoasttapper
03-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Ah, I understand a bit better now. I read a few posts talking about having a float and I was wondering if my machine was missing a part. I see now that it isn't.

I appreciate the explainations :)