PDA

View Full Version : Foam in glass bottles

maple marc
03-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Last night I bottled five gallons--mostly into fancy glass bottles. All went well except that in five bottles there is a very fine foam that has collected. I had placed all the bottles on their sides after filling, and the foam collected on the top side. After cooling I turned the bottles upright, hoping the foam would dissipate, but it seems to have simply moved to the top near the cap. Will this stuff be there forever, which means re-bottling?

I've never seen this before. Thanks for ideas.

Haynes Forest Products
03-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Were they the last of the syrup and it got a little thick. Have gone over density in the bottler when I had to leave it for other tasks and at 180 to 190 syrup will still give off the water

danno
03-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Ahh foam in the bottles - just gotta love it.

If you fill your bottles a little slower and on an angle like you were pouring beer into a glass, you will get less foam. Also, you can usually see the bubbles on top of the bottle before you cap it - I use small tongue depresser (new popsicle stick) to wisk the bubbles out before capping.

Putting clean panty hose over your bottler spigot will help as well. And some add two spigots on thier cannerr to control syrup flow. The spigot your bottling off of stays half open and you open/close your flow with the spigot between your canner and bottling spigot. Confused now?

Or, you could just bottle in plastic;)

maplehound
03-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I also have had this in the past. Danno gives you good advice to help prevent this but when it happens the chances are it won't go away on it's own. I have had some success by putting the bottles in a pan of water and heating till the syrup thined eonough to disipate the bubbles. You must be carefull though if the syrup gets to hot you can get sugar sand forming or even have the syrup expand and break the bottle.