PDA

View Full Version : heights

sap runner
03-08-2010, 09:51 PM
how low does everyone run back pan 2x4 raised and 2x2 front older small bros soldered pan thanks for any help

JohnsSugarShack
03-08-2010, 11:58 PM
This is my first year with a flue pan. I have a 2x6 with a raised flue. I've been running approximately 2" above the flues and 1 1/2" in my syrup pan. So far this has worked good for me. I found that if you run too much over the flues that you run more of a chance of having sap splash out of the pan, not good to have hot sap flying in the air been there don't like it.

PerryW
03-09-2010, 06:07 AM
I run my flue pan about 1 inch deep and my syrup pan 2 inches deep.

ebourassa
03-09-2010, 08:40 AM
I run the flue pan about 1" and the syrup pan 1 1/4, but run what you fell confortable, when you run your pan low things can go bad really fast, i had a close call one night when i tried to run the front at or below an 1" and i started making syrup in the midle channel the temp spiked to 225+, talk about getting your heart racing, everything worked out though, i flooded the front pan and it took alittle while before i could draw off again,

PerryW
03-09-2010, 09:30 AM
1" and i started making syrup in the midle channel the temp spiked to 225+,

One thing I discovered when this happens is to have a dipper handy that you can dipper hot sap from the back pan directly into the area of the pan that is over syrup. With a little practice, you can add the right amount of of sap to bring it down to just below syrup and then draw off in the normal fashion.