PDA

View Full Version : How big of a boil at rear of pan?

bison1973
03-08-2010, 09:41 PM
I've read the threads about altering the space under the rear of the flue pan. So that got me into tinkering with mine. I closed it up somewhat (about 4" deep and 12" in lenght from the stack base). The question i have is just how strong should the boil be in the last third of the flue pan? I have a huge boil in the front third, good boil in the middle, and the last third it boils but less than in the middle. I have a 3x10 drop flue with preheater (no blower, standard arch). Right now I get about 110 gal per hour with consistent firing. I just don't know how the boiling should look in the rear of the flue pan. What do you guys see in the rear of your flue pans?

danno
03-08-2010, 10:16 PM
If you're getting 110 gph on a 3x10 without a blower, I would not change a thing, except ofcourse, add a blower. I have both on my 3x10 and have a huge boil in both pans front to back and have a hard time exceeding 90 gph's. I also only have abvout 6" from my stack to top of ramp at back of flue pan - but again, you're getting great evazp rates already.

PerryW
03-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Agree w/ Danno, don't change a thing. I can only get 90-100 GPH out of my 3x10 with no blower or hood.

personally, i would think that if the back third of your pan is boiling real hard, there is a lot of heat going up the stack.

Haynes Forest Products
03-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Forgive me but im an oil guy and my 3x10 only boils in the front 1/3rd . It rolls up high towards the finish pans and slides down to the back. I have tried everything but I get a good rate so ill live with it.

farmall h
03-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Sounds normal...don't mess with it.:)

Bucket Head
03-11-2010, 09:46 PM
I agree. Its working very well. Many guys are only "simmering" sap at the back. Thats how mine used to be. If you have bubbles back there, you got it going as well as its going to get.

Steve