PDA

View Full Version : Sap to Syrup

Jay
03-10-2005, 07:17 PM
How much sap are you folks boiling down for a gallon of syrup? I boiled down 100 gallons the other day and ended up with a little over a gallon and a half. A little on the low side I figure, I would like to check my sugar some time just to see what it is. All the taps (20) are in sugars. I also had some questions on running the evaporator I have since its my first year using one (half-Pint), I am not the worlds best writer so I would like to speak with someone, if any body has the time. My # is 845-325-5668 or if someone would shoot me a message I would be happy to call them. Thanks in advance, Jay

Al
03-10-2005, 07:27 PM
The first time you boil in your pans they have to be sweetened so you boil awhile before you first draw off. We have alot of highly qualified sugarer's here and I'm sure there's at least 2 people here who have used or use a half pint.
You may want to purchase a sap hydrometer or a refractometer to get your sugar content in your sap. A sap hydrometer is cheaper and is what I use to get a rough idea on sugar content.
Welcome to the board.

brookledge
03-10-2005, 07:39 PM
As Al said the cheapest way to test your sap is with a hydrometer. Short style about $10.00 but I would recomend the tall one about $16.00. The tall ones are easier to read. You may want to get a test cup also. As far as sugar content there are alot of variables involved.My first boil this year I had about 2.5% If you use the 86 rule (86divided by the sugar content) that will tell you how many gallons of sap to make one gallon. In my case about 35 to 1.
Keith

Bill K.
03-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Jay,
We boil with three flat pans that sit end to end in an angle iron frame 20" X 94". We tap (80) all sugar maples and after the sap is collected I check the brix density of the sap in each of my storage containers. We use a sap hydrometer scaled 0-10 degrees brix. I use "the Rule of 86" (86 divided by the degrees brix) to calculate how many gallons of sap will produce a gallon of syrup. I can then calculate how much finished syrup we should produce based on the number of gallons collected.
We average anywhere from 32 to 50 gal. sap/gal. syrup throughout the season. We boil in batches averaging anywhere from 2 - 7 gal./syrup per batch. We remove the pans from the fire when the temperature of the syrup is approximately 7 degrees above the boiling temp. of water. We transfer the syrup to a finshing pan and use a natural gas fired stove to complete the boiling process. We use a digital thermometer that can display 1/2 degree increments. We use flat filters to remove niter and bottle in 1/2 gallon canning jars. We do have a syrup hydrometer we use to spot check the density.
I suspect you produced some very heavy syrup your first time around. The temperature measurement works well, but you have to follow a few rules. 1. Calibrate (measure a pan of rapidly boiling water and note the temperature) your thermometer no more than an hour before you are ready for draw-off 2. Keep the end of your thermometer off the bottom of your pan while measuring. 3. Measure in an area where the boil isn't rolling too hard.
Good Luck,
Bill

mapleman3
03-11-2005, 06:34 AM
Jay, I too taps some reds, they only gave me 1.5% sugar as tested on m y refractometer, or hydrameter. so that should take 57 gallons to make a gallon of syrup, but I add in 3.5% sap from sugars which brings the sap up in % ... luckily I have way more sugars than reds and my % ends up around 3%

Jay
03-12-2005, 11:24 AM
Just want to thank Rick for reaching out, I got your message, thank you. All of my questions have been answered, I am sure there is more coming,LoL. Thanks again to everyone, Jay