PDA

View Full Version : Starting to run...

jhermann
03-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Tapped trees last Thursday (3/4/10) and collected about 40 gallons on Sunday. Boiled it down until about 2" on bottom of pan. Hoping to add more today. With this weather you would think they would be running more...a little early.

C.Wilcox
03-08-2010, 12:20 PM
It's still a bit slow down here in the south part of the state as well. The sugar maples are running much more reliably than the reds and the trees higher on the hill are doing better than the lower ones. Hopefully things will pick up as the week moves on. We're forecasted to get 3-4 days of rain down here so I'm not sure what that will do other than make a mess, but we'll see.

jhermann
03-08-2010, 07:12 PM
C. Wilcox - not much running today either. We are also supposed to get 3-4 days of periodic rain. Certainly will make a mess. Glad I got covers on all the pails :)

TF Maple
03-08-2010, 07:31 PM
I was hoping it would run good today with 49 degree air temp, but only got 17 gallons from 90 taps. Had 19 gallons yesterday so it was disapointing to have less today. With the coming rain is no freezing temps at night for a couple days which could be bad too.

Cabinet man
03-09-2010, 06:10 AM
We have had really nice weather last week and only saw 10 gallons of sap. This week all rain and not cool at night. The weekend on looks better. The rain should get rid of the snow and thaw the trees though. Hoping for bigsap soon. Its early here and north face slope. Last year we didn't cook til the 15th. Good luck and happy cooking.

jhermann
03-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Collected about 25 gallons today since our last collection on Sunday. Not the best but it's still early. Kind of odd - the trees that typically produce the best are not as good as a few that normally do not do that great.