PDA

View Full Version : oily film on new pan??

SilverLeaf
03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Did a test boil with H20 on the new evap yesterday. Should be ready to roll when the trees start drippin' around here.

But - I noticed something odd. In my divided pan, the water developed an oily sheen on the top. I've got a second pan, a flat pan with no dividers (I'm using that in lieu of a flue pan for now), and that pan didn't have the problem. Water in there was just as clean at the end as when I put it in.

Both pans are new, made of the same SS from the same metal shop. The water I was using in both was the same well water. The only difference was that the divided pans had the dividers there with the tig welding seams. Is there anything about the material in those seams that might cause this?

If not, anyone have a guess what else might cause that, or what I can do to clean it so it doesn't happen when I put the precious sweet stuff in it?

johnallin
03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Leader suggests that you boil a solution of water and baking soda on their new pans. Ratio per them is 2 lbs baking soda to 100 gal water. Bring that to a boil for 30 minutes, then rinse out and boil just clear water for another 30 min.

That may do the trick, could just be left over oils on your pans from the mfg process.

MapleME
03-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I was also thinking the same thing about the oils. You could also get some stainless steel pan cleaner- or what I use is Dawn Liquid Detergent. Just 1 drop, but it cuts through oils and cleans new stuff up nice. don't use more than a drop or two, you dont want to off flavor anything.

SilverLeaf
03-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I like that baking soda idea from Leader. I'll give that a try. I went the cheap route and just had a professional welder make the pans, so they didn't come with instructions!

johnallin
03-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Dan, just don't do what I did ( didn't rinse good enough the first time and had white powder all over the pans) the second rinse is important!

SilverLeaf
03-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Dan, just don't do what I did ( didn't rinse good enough the first time and had white powder all over the pans) the second rinse is important!

Will do!

by the way, just clicked on your photo link, John. That sugar house of yours is a beauty! Consider me jealous.

Haynes Forest Products
03-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Could that be the self defoaming pans I have seen advertized:o