PDA

View Full Version : Colored Sap

valleyman
03-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Could the dozen moths and snow fleas (whatever the little black gnat like bugs are) that are in many of my buckets be discoloring the sap? Some buckets have less than 1/2 gallon but are loaded with moths.

I can still see the bottom of the pail through 5gallons of sap though the sap has a slight yellowish tinge which looks like a tint of the moths tan coloration. Though this is only my second season, it doesn't seem like it has the same coloration as the older mid late season sap had last year.

Granted its warmer than normal in CT, but the sap is less than twelve hours old.

Any thoughts?:confused:

mtbguy
03-08-2010, 10:17 AM
My sap has a little more colour than usual for a first run, slight yellow/tan tinge to it. I think it's just the sudden warm spell as I've got no bugs at all and my pails are all super clean. I'm in southern Ontario and just tapped Sun. although it's been running for a week.

Dan W
03-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Anybody ever get purple sap? I can live with a little yellow but a couple of trees that are giving the purple have been getting dumped.

SeanD
03-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Some of the trees are giving just the slightest tinge of yellow, but others are still pretty clear. All have moths and bugs. I think the yellower sap is just a sign that that tree is moving further along in the season than its brethren. I don't think it has anything to do with the bugs.

Sean

VA maple guy
03-09-2010, 06:49 AM
About two or three years I got some purple sap as did some others. There is
nothing wrong with it.
Gerry

BoarsNest
03-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I just collected about 90 gallons today. One tree that had 2 taps had slightly yellow on one side and clear as a bell on the other.