PDA

View Full Version : so far this season

ctjim
03-08-2010, 08:26 AM
so far this season has been not so great where i am. one good run and a few fair runs, thought this past weekend would be great but barely got any sap. can't figure it out? we were finally able to draw off about a gal. on sun., sure wish i had a 1/2 pint instead of having to boil w/ my cousin's 2x6 seems like we used alot of sap just to sweeten the pans. hopefully things will turn around or i will be out tapping some of the trees that i didn't tap yet this year.

lafite
03-08-2010, 09:50 AM
the sap is running great today in Cheshire. it got down to 27 last night and all the taps are running great. collected 10 gallons by 10:30 on 45 taps.

valleyman
03-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Hey Lafite. Thats good news to hear. I just made a doomsday report based on what I saw forecasted. Sure glad I'm wrong!
Just dont tell my wife that I admitted I was wrong!:)

valleyman
03-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Hey Lafite. Thats good news to hear. I just made a doomsday report based on what I saw forecasted. Sure glad I'm wrong!
Just dont tell my wife that I admitted I was wrong!:)

Tanta K
03-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Not running to well at Brooksvale, only 25 gallons collected over the weekend. And to top it off, someone threw trash in the best and fullest bucket today. Will wash that, strain out the moths, re-drill a few tomorrow and hope that we can get a bit more. Not looking to good right now.

Mike Van
03-08-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm running on all cylinders here, 3 days in a row, and should be two more [tue & wed] too. Then, there's this huge rain event in store for us that'll kill any run. :cry: Thu, fri, sat & maybe Sun from the looks of it. crap.

Littlesap
03-08-2010, 08:04 PM
CTJim, I'm in your camp. Upgraded to a 2x6 this year and have no syrup to show for it. I've boiled 100-150 gallons and was almost ready to draw off on Sunday before I started running low on sap. Figured today was a bad day in my neck of the woods but looked at three buckets coming up the driveway tonight and they each had 1/3-1/2 in them so that was good news.

Hoping we get a drop in temps next week, maybe have to redrill a few trees. My wife says there will be good years and bad years for sap... fortunately she knows not the cost of all these shiny things.

BIGMAPLEFARM
03-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Marginal year at best, 15 gallons yesterday on 55 taps, only one good run so far, have about 4 gallons of finished syrup waiting for bottling. Looking like I should have tapped sooner than 2/21. Hebron maplefest looks like it will be dry of sap and wet of weather.

wkies
03-09-2010, 07:19 AM
I'm in the same boat. I've only made 20 gallons of syrup so far off 320 taps. It's been a strange season that's for sure. Typically I've made 40+ gallons at this point with a few weeks still to go. I just checked out a long range forecast and it looks awful - no cold temps this far south for at least a week or so. There is always next season!

valleyman
03-09-2010, 08:39 AM
I managed to gather 18-20 gallons from 20 taps from yesterday. I also have 5 trees tapped in Norwalk and I didnt get down there over the weekend, but yesterday I collected 10gallons from those. Still clear as can be (phew). So I should have enough for a small boiling event by Saturday. I've been dropping frozen 1/2 gallons in the storage tank to keep it cool.

oakstreetsugarhouse
03-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Dido, I collected 10-15 gallons total from two day of sap on 45 taps. Only two good runs and maybe 2 ok runs. Seems like it went from too cold days and nights to to warm days and night. What the heck. Whats this about retapping? Can you pull taps and ream out hole to get it going again when it chills down again? I heard from someone (unnamed) that it might be the end already. I only made 2.5 gallons syrup compared to 10 last year and don't get me started on 2008.

lafite
03-10-2010, 05:52 AM
looking at the forcast, this is probably the end of the season for me. I collected 23 gallons yesterday and I'm assuming the same collection today. This is my first year with a 2x4 evaporator so I guess I should be happy with 4 gallons of finished product (assuming I produce another gallon today!)

:)

maplemaple2020
03-10-2010, 06:12 AM
its the same here its been to warm over here in East Hampton:(:mad:

Tanta K
03-10-2010, 07:21 AM
20 gallons yesterday, sap that is. Not much doing...see what's up tomorrow. What we were ready to draw yesterday was really dark.

1 Zillion Sugar Moths!

dhbiker1
03-10-2010, 09:25 AM
This is my 5th year and by far the worst yet. Tapped Feb 19th and nothing was running much for the next 2 weeks. Then I had about 2 ok runs and to this day have collected under 300 gallons of sap from 155 trees. With the low concentrated sap from the reds I should be at about 15 gallons and all i've drawn off is 1 gal. The vacuum is not helping and I am afraid it might be about over here. Sure has been a lot of work for 1 gal but that's the nature of it. Hope others are having a better outcome!

Mike Van
03-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Today is my 5th day in a row with 65 gal/sap from my 60 taps. It'll all come to an end for awhile, as it doesn't look like frost until Mon or Tue now. That stinks. All my taps are running fine, I've been dumping pails at 5:00 pm and starting boiling at 5:30 AM everyday. Thats worked out pretty good, as I'm done by 10:00 am. Actually had 70 gal. tonight, it's down to 40 at 6:30 pm, maybe a little frost will sneak in & keep this party going - ?

markct
03-10-2010, 06:31 PM
hmm the 10 day forecast shows no frost, kinda worries me, hope the weather man is wrong!

oakstreetsugarhouse
03-10-2010, 07:54 PM
It was 25 last night here in Burlington last night, still 30 when I left for work and very warm today, Why didn't the sap run? I read a few post here and there about people retaping there trees. I guess pulling the tap and just reaming the hole a slite bit and re tapping. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Will it really do anything. Are my trees shutting down and closing up? Thanks

ctjim
03-11-2010, 04:41 AM
i don't think i would ream/ re drill my trees, just for some piece of mind
of keeping the trees healthy. my taps have been in since feb 22, so i don't think they're drying up just yet, imo the poor year has to do w/ the weather too warm and lots of wind? i have some trees that i haven't tapped yet so if the weather does turn for the better i can move some buckets.