PDA

View Full Version : Adding Breathing Room Equals Great Boil and Syrup

valleyman
03-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Yesterday's and todays boil bring me to my fifth boil for the 2010 season. Prior to this morning I hadnt got all 4 pans to boil. I was convinced that I needed to add more air or heat to the mix to get the heat to the rear. So I went out and bought a inexpensive electric leaf blower. I added some sand to fill gaps and also added some sand to bring the floor up a bit closer to my back two pans thinking closer is better. Just the opposite is true in my case. I had about 1" under the two rear pans.

I was pushing a lot of thick smoke out the stack and at first I thought that was a good thing not really understanding.

Today I got rid of the sand, got rid a layer of half bricks off the floor, got rid of the bricks that I had angled between the fire box and rear section which increased the depth of the firebox a little more. Now I have 2-3 clearence under the back two restaurant pans.

And since my pans are set into the firebox I also took mapletrader advise and ran my pans filled deep with sap instead of the 2-3" depth as previous boils.

Fired her up this morning and when she got hot I had all four pans going with a hard boil. Finally. :D

I continued to use a small window exhaust fan as my forced air. Never opened the Leaf Blower.

It was a near perfect mix. There was light smoke with and gases exiting the stack instead of the heavy smoke. The stack was super hot. It was just a lot more efficient overall just by giving the pans more breathing room. I boiled 20 gallons off in a couple of hours and had beautiful light syrup developing and finished on the propane. I had more time set aside today for boiling so I boiled off another 20 gallons of older sap I had gathered over the week. The first twenty I boiled today came form last night and this morning which I kept seperate from the older.)

Again a big thanks for all the shared knowledge here.

Because of one year reading and learning from everyone here at Mapletrader I was a key contributer to a local maple festival and I shared what I've learned with a bunch of interested hobbyists and did a half gallon finished demo on a propane burner. Made some cash on my syrup and nuts too!

C.Wilcox
03-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Valleyman,

Glad to hear you're finally getting that light syrup you've been after all season. Way to stay after it.

valleyman
03-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Sorry about this. I was so pleased with this weekends boils that I posted that the clearance was 2-3" under the pans. Actually the clearance is 5 inches. That's the space that improved the evaporator's efficiency.

SeanD
03-08-2010, 06:20 PM
I had a similar situation with my 2x5 when I was doing a combination of dropping 2 steam pans into the block evaporator and sitting my 3-foot flat pan in the back - cheap, quick, and easy way to expand. I brought the arch level in the back up and up and could never get the back pan to boil.

Throughout the season, folks here gave me lots of advice about bringing the arch up, but also to increase my stack height. By the end of the season, I had a very wobbly 6" stack 12 feet in the air (I was outside), but STILL no big improvement in the back pan.

After the season, when I broke everything down I could see that just past the fire box was covered in a VERY thick layer of soot. Basically, my evaporator was starved for air.

So, this year I super-sized to an 8" stack and, because I got a shack built, could go up to 18 feet. This thing roared like a jet engine whenever I shut the door and the back pan boiled even with 125* sap dripping in. No visible smoke came from the stack, but that thing was HOT. After about 2.5 hours of boiling, I probably had a handful of ash. Basically it performed like a forced draft, but without the blower.

It sounds like you found a solution, but if you have more time for tinkering, it might be worth going with a larger stack, especially if you can ditch the blower.

Sean

valleyman
03-09-2010, 08:31 AM
yeah Sean, I'm going to stick it out this season and go to a 7 or 8 dia. for next season. Thanks for the input.

This week is starting pretty well in CT for some sap but it looks like another mild spell days/nights for the end of the week. By the looks of it I'll be boiling in the rain on Saturday. I'm glad I built a little structure to keep the evaporator somewhat protected.

boondocker
03-09-2010, 02:16 PM
i built my own 2x6 with flat pans, and 8" stack 16 ft. high inside my sugar house. like sean d said, mine roars, and boils like crazy. sunday afternoon i boiled off over fifty gal. of sap in 3 hours. as long as i keep my stack temp. at some where between 500 to 650 deg. it is a weapon :D

rustyinmaine
03-12-2010, 12:31 PM
i had the same problem yesterday with the back not getting to a good boil. I did the same thing and also added more stack, and lifted the fire with a grate thanks to the info on this site. Just went out and started it up and it went like a mad man. this site is great and I appreciate all the help