PDA

View Full Version : Southern Ohio totals

Buckeye mapler
03-07-2010, 08:18 PM
This is likely it for us here in southern Ohio. Temps are not suppose to drop below freezing in any of the 7 day forecasts. In fact, we will have average high temps as our lows at night now. From one extreme to the next. Anyway, let's get our totals posted on this thread for those of us ion southern Ohio or anyone else who's season is now over. I think most of us may have fallen short with the odd season.

I am still in the finishing process and will check the buckets until Wednessday, but I expect they will be empty. If you have completed yours let us hear.

newman_maple
03-07-2010, 09:34 PM
I brought in 190 today giving me 990 since last Sunday on 160 taps. A couple trees just started running good day so I may have another big day, but I will be home late the next two days slowing me down A LOT. I will be fighting the heat this week. My year to date sap total is 1375. It looks like we are getting about 50:1 and this big run is medium so far, but I would like some dark. The 200 gallons last week very dark. I might do some experimenting with mixing the two batches. I will still be down from last year I think, but if I can get this week's sap boiled before it spoils, I may do OK.

newman_maple
03-13-2010, 07:31 PM
I was shocked when my wife gave me totals. After she finished off inside, graded, and placed into 5 gallon jugs, we have:

10 gallons light amber
6 gallons medium amber
15 gallons dark amber
ZERO Grade B!

1 gallon made in Jan
6 gallons made in Feb
24 gallons made March

45:1 this year
60:1 last year

maple marc
03-13-2010, 09:27 PM
So far a very short season here in Champaign County. Couldn't get into the woods before Feb 27. Too cold for first few days, now taps have stopped due to warm temperatures. 672 gallons collected, and with what may be my final boil tomorrow, it might put me over 15 gallons of syrup for a ratio of 45:1. I rinsed out buckets in the woods today as I collected, and left the taps in the trees, hoping for another run next week. Way behind last year.

Buckeye mapler
03-14-2010, 01:12 AM
With a few things to take into consideration my totals are this.

130 taps

766 gallons of sap collected

235 gallons of sap spilled

~20 gallons of sap overflow after leaving the feed valve open

511 gallons of sap actually boiled down

8 to 8.5 gallons of medium amber syrup made

64:1 ratio

1.34% sugar:o

I think I will dump some aunt jemima around the trees in the sugar bush and hope for higher sugar percents next year.:lol:

stevepipkin
03-19-2010, 05:47 AM
2009: .44 gallons of syrup per tap - just a bit above average for us.

2010: .29 gallons of syrup per tap. There was a lower year about 6 years ago.