PDA

View Full Version : I'm now an offical sugar maker!

Turtlecreek
03-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Ok I did it and I'm not real proud of it.......I burned my pan, actually about 12 inches in the front on my third and fourth channel in the half pint.

Here's the story, I was going along great got all of the sap out of my holding tank and thought, against my better judgement, that I should get the sap that is hanging up in the trees. Well while my 3 year old and I were up in the bush I noticed that my half pint was steaming like a, oh I don't know, a freight train going around horseshoe curb at 100 mph. I made good time out of the bush leaving my son behind. I got to the evap just in time to see what appears to me to be volacnic rock comming out of my pan. Although this was very impressive I was a tad bit upset with myself.

So, now that this is behind me I guess I get scrubbing. I did research on the site and it seems that acid is the way to go, with a bit of scrubbing. I may have a small leak at the draw off so I'll need to go visit the local amish welder and get that fixed. The pan was already warped from its previous owner so I'm not too upset about that.

By the way I blame this all on Paddymountain we were just talking today about not burning our pans, and not 3 hours later I had mount St. Hellens in my driveway!!!!! arrrrrrrrrrrrguh

Dennis H.
03-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Sorry to about the burnt pan, but on a better note you are now a sugarmaster!!!:D

I am knocking on wood right now, I have yet to burn a pan but I have a long time to go to learn how to burn the pan just right.

Good luck on cleaning up the pan.

Paddymountain
03-06-2010, 09:34 PM
I'll take the blame : I've got broad shoulders!!!

Haynes Forest Products
03-06-2010, 10:33 PM
All this reminds me of the time I was browning some ground beef and needed some more ingrediants. I ran to the store and as I was rounding the corner to home it hit me I might not have turned the stove off or taken the pan off the burner. I hit the door running and as I passed the window I couldnt see inside. The rim of the pan and handle were sitting on the stove and all the rest was a puddle inside the element and tray. Did I tell you that Im better of outside the sugar house. Backing into trees with the truck.

Turtlecreek
03-07-2010, 08:37 PM
I've learned my lesson this sucks.

Dan W
03-08-2010, 09:16 AM
TC, Welcome to the lava rock making business! Scrubbing does suck. It took me 2 times to teach myself to stay at the evaporator and NO ALCOHOL WHILE BOILING!!! Now you can put all that behind you and get on to making syrup. Dan

Turtlecreek
03-08-2010, 12:48 PM
All cleaned up, now back to making syrup!! I think I'll clean out the fire box and reverse the flow in the pan while I have things torn apart this far. I also have acre bricks that I could tend to while I'm at it.

Dan, I could see how far you scorched the hp while I was scrubbing, and I think you beat me by maybe half an inch or so!

Dan W
03-16-2010, 08:03 PM
I WIN!!! All kidding aside, the learning process sets in fast. I have been watching the new rig like a hawk. No excuses from now on. Good boiling!!!!