PDA

View Full Version : Foaming Syrup Pan

Sweetrun
03-06-2010, 06:16 PM
I am boiling on a Leader 2X6. The syrup started to foam in the front pan just before draw-off, to the point it boiled over the side of the pan on the draw- off side. I am using a defoamer and I have had no problems with foam in the sap pan. The only way to settle things down was to open the evap door to reduce heat. As soon as the door is closed it would begin to foam up again. I have been using this evap for several years and have not had this happen before. Sap pan level is about 1-1/2 to 2" in sap depth. Made some nice fancy today, but struggled through the foaming issue Any thoughts?

maple flats
03-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Sometimes you need to add 1 drop of defoamer at every fueling. I attended a seminar by a Leader employee who said you should add 1 drop IN THE FLUE PAN every time you add wood. If you do this he claimed you will never need to add any in the syrup pan. I was going to try it this year.

Haynes Forest Products
03-06-2010, 06:49 PM
One drop Dang I see guys squirt a stream into the flue pan every time. I use maybe 10 drops for my 3x10.

Haynes Forest Products
03-06-2010, 06:51 PM
One drop Dang I see guys squirt a stream into the flue pan every time. I use maybe 10 drops for my 3x10. Sweet run maybe drawoff more often and longer draws. I always keep an eye out for the really big shinny bubbles because trouble is right behind them.

Sweetrun
03-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the replys. Maybe I was getting a little stingy on the use of the defoamer. I will boost it up a bit.

tapper
03-07-2010, 06:23 AM
The amount depends on the size of the evaporator. A drop or 2 is sometimes needed at the drawoff. This will not only reduce the foam but help draw the syrup to the draw off. If you are using proper amount in the floatbox it is rare that you need any at the drawoff.

maple flats
03-07-2010, 07:41 PM
For my 3x8 I tried the one drop and it seems to work good for me. The seminar that presnted that info said it takes a big change in pan size before you need to go to even 2 drops. So far I have only tested it on the 3x8, but that seems to work the same as my 2x6 did before that.

farmall h
03-08-2010, 04:39 PM
YUK, one drop is plenty! I don't even pop the cap off...just wave it in the back pan and down it goes. Same with the front when necessary. You don't need to use the defoamer unless it is rolling OUT of the pans.

ACollette
03-08-2010, 04:45 PM
I had this problem myself yesterday. An old Vermonter taught me to use just a drop of half and half when I reach this point. Worked like a charm...

cpmaple
03-08-2010, 04:54 PM
I am boiling on a Leader 2X6. The syrup started to foam in the front pan just before draw-off, to the point it boiled over the side of the pan on the draw- off side. I am using a defoamer and I have had no problems with foam in the sap pan. The only way to settle things down was to open the evap door to reduce heat. As soon as the door is closed it would begin to foam up again. I have been using this evap for several years and have not had this happen before. Sap pan level is about 1-1/2 to 2" in sap depth. Made some nice fancy today, but struggled through the foaming issue Any thoughts?

Several people on mapletrader told me last year to use unsalted butter. Take a toothpick stick it in the butter then into the foam and boom its gone. Well I had no other items to use at the time so that worked for me. Hope it helps
cpmaple

Wanabe1972
03-08-2010, 07:05 PM
I use a little condesed milk out of a dropper. Put a drop in the last channel of the flue pan right before I draw off. Seems like as soon as the foam is gone it boils like mad.

vtsnowedin
03-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Several people on mapletrader told me last year to use unsalted butter. Take a toothpick stick it in the butter then into the foam and boom its gone. Well I had no other items to use at the time so that worked for me. Hope it helps
cpmaple
I've seen that done by the old time dyed in the wool Vermonters but they use a maple twig or long handled fork to keep their fingers out of the steam. just poke the tip into a stick of butter and swish it in the flue pan and she'll babble like a brook. Of course only butter from Vermont Jersey cows was considered food grade.

Justin Turco
03-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Sweet run, When my syrup pan does that I have to clean it. We clean our front pan everyday. Leader acid cleaner works good. But don't use the crystals. They're trouble! I take my pan off and bring her to a boil on a little stove I have when cleaning with acid. If you have an R/O the permiate works pretty good. Pour the water in and just let is soak overnight.

rasento
03-11-2021, 05:43 PM
Rotated my new pan yesterday after 500 gallons. Cant knock the foam down in the syrup compartment. Using sunflower oil which works awesome in the flue pan. Any thoughts? Just a good boil?22207

maple flats
03-11-2021, 06:39 PM
Are you using an RO? My experience was that once I went from raw sap to 8-10% concentrate I needed 45 drops rather than 1. I always used Atmos. Sunflower oil works, but it requires more to do the job.
While this issue has never happened to you before, each season is different. I suggest you use 20% more defoamer, if it persists, ad 20% more again, and add it every time you add wood. If oil fired at some every 10 minutes and keep working up until it is under control.
This may not be an issue next season, as I said, each season might be different.
You want to get to the point where the drops are only added in the sap pan and you get good control, not in the syrup pan.

darkmachine
03-24-2021, 11:57 AM
Having the same problem on my 2x6, I thought maybe late season sap? I had to use what I considered to be a gratuitous amount of defoamer to keep it down when the forced air was on. I can't use sunflower oil as I'm allergic. I've been using corn oil, never tried atmos, maybe next season.

DrTimPerkins
03-24-2021, 12:04 PM
Rotated my new pan yesterday after 500 gallons. Cant knock the foam down in the syrup compartment. Using sunflower oil which works awesome in the flue pan. Any thoughts? Just a good boil?22207

How is the niter situation? Often this will make foaming worse (although your foaming doesn't look exceptionally bad). Can you switch sides more frequently or stop and clean the pans?

HillsideMaple
03-25-2021, 07:17 PM
I have noticed more foam in my pans my last two boils than earlier in the season. I use powdered defoamer from CDL and just upped the dose every time I fire up. Also as the season come closer to ending I notice the nitre and sugar sand increases. This makes the syrup pan foam up more. I have to reverse the flow more often and clean the pans more. Every season is different..... just gotta roll with it and do what works for you.