PDA

View Full Version : RO for Dummies?

Riley/MN
03-06-2010, 08:34 AM
I am sure that our little operation will never grow into the need for RO, but I would still like to get a better idea of how it works.

While I understand the concept, I would like to read up on the actual process. Is there anything out there that will give me a good idea of the process?

Thanks

~Riley

TF Maple
03-06-2010, 04:45 PM
I too am interested in this info, I just started researching it on the internet. I'm tempted to say I won't get big enough to need one, but I feel the fever when I see trees that aren't being tapped. When I get a real evaporator I'm sure I will be growing some more.

arcticmaple8
03-16-2010, 10:56 PM
I have also been researching the r.o. process. Your membrane has a center tube this is where your waste water is ejected. your sap is pressurized into the membrane outsides on one end and your concentrate comes out the opposite end. Only the water is capable of passing through the membrane into the center tube. I spoke with an expert on membranes and i'll tell you what he shared with me. A nf 90 is the same membrane as a mark 1 but the mark 1 has a smaller center tube because the r.o. manufacturers wanted to have a specific membrane in order to force people to buy theirs. You can buy adapter for exsisting mark 1 vessel to convert. A nf 270 membrane flows better but can pass sugar at higher percentages depending on pressure, sap characteristics and concentration levels. Some say they can get 15% with 270's. They now make 270xle membranes which are slightly tighter and have become the new hot item for maple syrup and in 8" sizes the 270xle is cheaper than the standard 270. I was also surprised when i learned that a lower pressure approx 200-300 psi is better for membrane and almost as effective. Higher pressures lodge sugar granules farther into membrane making it harder to clean, and reduce life span. I learned all this from midwest r.o. from a guy named joe. He also suggested rinsing membrane at lower pressure and with warm water not exceeding 100 fairenheit. He says everyone rinses different some in normal flow, some in reverse flow but he had no input. They had better prices than anyone else i could find and he did not mind taking the time to explain all this to me, very nice man. His number is (910)457-9336

I am pricing out an 8" setup
codeline 8" x 40" vessel (sideport)- $1025
8" filmtec nf 270xle membrane - $644
adapters for vessel sideports to convert to npt- $73

so $1742 plus ship, pump and plumbing- hoping it will come close to 600 gph like other 8" r.o.'s we'll see

Also priced out 4" setup but then realized 4" dia has far less surface area than 8" and don't believe i would get enough gph from it.

4" s.s. vessel rated 300psi capable 400-500 - $128
4" 90 or 270 membrane - $312
only $440 plus ship, pump and plumbing

Well thats all i know until i build one good luck

mrb215
03-23-2010, 06:34 AM
http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiterature/dh_006c/0901b8038006cc4b.pdf?filepath=liquidseps/pdfs/noreg/609-00225.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

Try this site its a link to dow filmtech site it explaned some stuff to me you just have to remember there talking about making water.