PDA

View Full Version : When is the best time to buy new equipment??

Dennis H.
03-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Ok here is my question, when is it best to order/buy new equipment? Do they give good deals at thier open houses and do you have to be there to get the good deals, can I just give them a call.

I had an idea that I would be upgrading for next season and I am just wondering if there is a better time to buy, like discounts?

The other question is when you are looking for a new evap is this like a car or home purchase where you can wheel and deal on the price or is it what they ask is what you must pay?

Haynes Forest Products
03-06-2010, 09:36 AM
When the wife is out of town on vacation

Haynes Forest Products
03-06-2010, 09:44 AM
OK back to reality Most dealers do have show specials during trade shows. I have found that if you get a relaitionship with a dealer its best to always do your homework and then give them first shot at your buisness. Trying to get a good deal on a evap or filter press in during March is not going to work. Now back to the relationship with a dealer. Lets say you want that 2x6 and its march placing the order and putting a down payment and getting it payed off by November when the supplier ships is a way to get a good deal.

Grott
03-06-2010, 10:59 AM
C-A-$-H in hand gets the best deal on almost everything.:D

Dennis H.
03-06-2010, 11:21 AM
No I am not looking to get right this moment. It would be nice but reality is that it will have to wait for at least another month or 2.

So they allow you to put down payments and then "layaway" the evap till you pay it off of they get it in stock?

gator330
03-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Before you need it!!!! The wife being out of town helps a lot too!!!!! For me it never works this way!!!!! So I pay double and dearly most of the time!!!!!

johnallin
03-06-2010, 01:48 PM
" My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife is going to sell all of my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.....;) .

We both went to look at the evaporator during May sale at Leader. It's all the other stuff I'm worried about.

Sbascom
03-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Ok here is my question, when is it best to order/buy new equipment? Do they give good deals at thier open houses and do you have to be there to get the good deals, can I just give them a call.

I had an idea that I would be upgrading for next season and I am just wondering if there is a better time to buy, like discounts?

The other question is when you are looking for a new evap is this like a car or home purchase where you can wheel and deal on the price or is it what they ask is what you must pay?

Bascom Maple Farms has their open house may 7 and 8th, However they have a sale on most things from the middle of April to the middle of May. And you can order things over the phone.

maple flats
03-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Most dealers offer sale prices during open houses and in the off season.

Haynes Forest Products
03-06-2010, 06:46 PM
I cant speak for any other dealers or suppliers but I know when I wanted to get a new evap I didnt need it for 8 Months so I cut a deal and sent in over 1/2 down and sent money in as I could until it was paid for. Then one day it was on its way:) Waterloo Small called and wanted to know if I really wanted it sent to Parker Colorado and what was I going to do with it in Denver:o After some explaining it showed up.

Dennis H.
03-06-2010, 07:01 PM
I guess I will just have to make a few calls after I am done for the season to see what kind of deals are out there.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-07-2010, 06:45 AM
A lot of the manufactures have a 10% discount on manufactured equipment during the early order period in the spring which runs aprox from April 20th to May 20th. That's when I always buy everything, even order my tubing and spouts then. In long run, saves $$$.

KenWP
03-07-2010, 09:20 AM
I cant speak for any other dealers or suppliers but I know when I wanted to get a new evap I didnt need it for 8 Months so I cut a deal and sent in over 1/2 down and sent money in as I could until it was paid for. Then one day it was on its way:) Waterloo Small called and wanted to know if I really wanted it sent to Parker Colorado and what was I going to do with it in Denver:o After some explaining it showed up.

Haynes you should have told them you were makeing pine syrup first before you tried maple. I ordered something well in Alberta and had it sent to Quebec. Now that took some explaining.

rustyinmaine
03-18-2010, 07:38 PM
when you have the money!!!! or get creative and make all your own. I do!!!!:evil:

Fred Henderson
03-18-2010, 08:12 PM
The way the season has gone this year I suspect there will be lots of equipment FS very soon.

ennismaple
03-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Most dealers offer deals through May and into June. The manufacturers typically shut down for a little while after the season is over and want to have work for their factories when they come back in early summer. You'll get a discount on 2010 prices for tubing and equipment and possibly other stuff too. If you need tanks, pans etc... you need to order early because they can only produce a certain number of pieces a season and you want to ensure it gets to you early enough to get it set up for next year.

Bucket Head
03-18-2010, 08:33 PM
I agree with Fred. This has been the kind of season that will force a lot of folks to rethink their "plan" and some will decide to throw in the towell. Its unfortunate, but thats how it is.

Steve

3rdgen.maple
03-19-2010, 01:05 AM
I third Fred and Bucket Head. Last year was dissapointing so I doubled up taps and this year was even worse with less syrup for the effort. I got to say it has crossed my mind more than once this year to sell out and go back to making syrup for myself on a halfpint with 50 taps. It gets old losing money and sure takes the fun out of it. I look at the money I have spent and it would have made a good dent in the payment of a new tractor. I need to pull taps and give up this year before I make a drastic decision and put it all on the market. Dang if I sold a 1 year old all ss evaporator and everything else with it I could pay cash for the tractor.

Fred Henderson
03-19-2010, 04:07 AM
The only thing you can do now is declare a loss on your taxes a recop a few bucks there.