PDA

View Full Version : Too thick of stainless for a pan?

Peepers
03-06-2010, 08:02 AM
So I came across a surplus place selling a 2x6 stainless "pan" that was used in some sort of food service application (apparently on the floor). It had two screens running the length of it in channels and has what must have been an inlet and outlet on one end. When I first checked it out they had it outside all fall/winter and it was frozen solid. They thawed it out for me and while it needs a good acid bath of some kind it is water tight and very heavy duty probably 1/8 inch thick stainless.

So for my main question: is 1/8 inch stainless too thick for good heat transfer and should I skip this as an improvement to my current welded-shut stainless kitchen sinks?

It is heavier than I cared to deal with but $140 for this seemingly invincible stainless rig seems like a good deal.

I tried attaching it here - thoughts, comments???

thanks guys.

marky the mapler
03-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Most pans are 22 gauge, some are 16/18. My advice to you is if the pan is free, I would take it and try it out. I would not spend more than it is worth in scrap though. For a couple of hundred bucks you can get a wegner metal works pan.

Haynes Forest Products
03-06-2010, 09:54 AM
I made my first pan set up single batch rig that was about the same thickness and it made some dang good syrup. I would get it and clean it up and get some divider plates made for the channels and have some fun. Resell it in a year and move up. Under $200.00 and your boiling do it.

Bucket Head
03-06-2010, 11:45 AM
One of my flat pans way back when was made out of 1/8" steel and we used it for years. Get the thing and try it. If you don't like it, scotch-bright the heck out of it and sell it next spring. A shined up stainless pan won't take long to sell, trust me.

Steve

kinalfarm
03-06-2010, 06:57 PM
my last rig was at least 1/8'' thick stainless and it boiled great! go for it it will clean up shiny and yoiu can always sell it for what you paid for it so it cant lose you money. but will take a little time.

Haynes Forest Products
03-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Peepers keep in mind that that thing would make a really nice finisher some day. Heavy so it will heat all the syrup and wont scorch one area because its heavy guage.