PDA

View Full Version : Sparking up the new evaporator today - questions

eastcoasttapper
03-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Nervous parents with lots of questions :)

Our new evaporator is 18" by 4'. We are putting our first sap of the season in today.

I understand that we have to prime or sweeten the evaporator today and likely won't actually produce any sap for bottling. If you don't mind, I would really appreciate your advice on the following questions.

Is it correct that we should keep the three baffles filled to between 1 1/2" to 2" at all times?

Should we be skimming the foam off throughout the day? (I have heard some say that it acts as an insulator, thus slowing the process)

If we boil today to sweeten, how much sap would we need on our next boiling day to actually do anything?

When I am drawing off sap that is going to be finished (I'm finishing in the house) how do I know where the cut off point is to stop drawing? If the third baffle continues to fill up with new sap, is there a way to judge how much to draw off? I'm assuming just use the hydrometre again or is there another way to judge?

We are all pretty excited here today! Thanks so much for taking your time to help!

Haynes Forest Products
03-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Keep it filled to a level that YOU feel comfortabe with then as you gain trust run it lower. Dont feel like your doing something by drawing off light and finishing in the house. Trust the hydrometer and draw off in small batches and be consistant. You will know when its syrup by the taste and thickness so go slow and it will start making sense. As I said small draws. Test and retest it wont hurt a thing to test and dump back in. YOU CANT HURT THE SYRUP BY TESTING IT. Only you will know when to draw and how much at a time. Dont get into the habit of dumping in alot of sap as you draw off its kills the process of the sap moving to syrup so let the rig work.

Ausable
03-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Haynes - Thank You for the advice - It applies to me too - I'm waiting for enough sap to start my first boil. Have a new 2' X 5' evaporator my Son and Grandson built for me - did a test boil with water and really impressed - but - realize I have a lot to learn with this baby. Have always made syrup in open pans in batches and this is really gonna be a new experience.... Mike

eastcoasttapper
03-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the advice. The evaporator is up and running. Wish the sap was too :lol: So far so good. Our old set up was named the "Dr. Seuss" evaporator so you can imagine we are quite excited about our new machine!

gator330
03-06-2010, 12:53 PM
You'll pick up on it fast feed her sap and take near syrup. Like Haynes said in small amounts. Keep it flowing you'll see the color change and start to pick up on the temp of the syrup buy the way it boils. Draw off till the temp drops two degree and then let her work more. Here we draw at 221 down to 219 and still need to finish some in the house. Hydrometer, hydrometer, hydrometer. No one will ever complain about a point or two heavy, but they know when it is light. Just don't go to heavy turns to sugar if you do, you can thin it some with near syrup from the next boil. That evaporator will teach you and before two long you'll be running her at 1" and making syrup like Haynes?????:o