PDA

View Full Version : Saying hello from CT!

paqmom
03-06-2010, 06:17 AM
I wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

My name is Tammy and I'm a busy mom of 3 boys. I do dental hygiene on a per diem basis now so I can focus on my family, homesteading our property and my website. I was born in NH and moved to CT when I was around 10. We love camping, kayaking, fishing, biking and hiking. Personally, I love gardening, quilting, knitting and crocheting, baking and cooking, food preservation and generally most things related to working our property (except dealing with those REALLY BIG spiders around here! :o ).

This is technically my third year of tapping. The first year was several years ago and it was definitely a learning year that cost me a good pan.:rolleyes: Last year was my first true good year and I boiled over a fireplace grate and an open pit. Only cost me my old lobstah pot last year. :emb:

Then this year: Dad gave me his old wood stove. I kept it in the shed 'til tapping season and it now is out and boiling down my sap for me. I got big, heavy duty pans from the UCONN surplus store for my boiling. I knew to split my wood in fall and let it dry nicely over the winter (no damp, slow burns). I've gone fancy with my sugarin' rig!:lol: I'm tapping 5 of my neighbors beautiful, old maples and about 8 of my own for a total of about 18 taps.

I still haven't reached a point that I can produce enough syrup for the wants and desires of three growing boys. I also have not ventured into making maple cream or candy so I still keep our local sugar house in the green with our purchases.

I can't wait to become more active here. I found the site while searching out info on 5/16" vs 7/16" taps. I had to register and wait and during that time, the sap started running. I should be out boiling now but wanted to say hello. I know we'll all have time down the road to visit.

ctjim
03-06-2010, 07:38 AM
welcome aboard,and good luck this season. from another ct sugarmaker