PDA

View Full Version : filter press syrup?

mphvermont
03-06-2010, 01:02 AM
ok have 7 bank filter press and wondering what everyone does with syrup inside? and how much is left inside at end of night when cleaning?

sfsshadow
03-06-2010, 07:09 AM
i seperate the plates and let them drain overnite.end up with about a quart of syrup

Father & Son
03-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Does anyone run hot sap from the flue pan through to flush out the sugar and then pour it back in the flue pan?

Jim

northwoods_forestry
03-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Take a look at Proctor Maple's filter press paper. Lots of good info on filter press operation, including cleaning the press and recovering the left over syrup in the press:

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/filter_press_brochure.pdf

Haynes Forest Products
03-06-2010, 09:49 AM
First I run my filter press till the guage is bouncing off the pin:lol: Then I shut it down and back the screws out about 4 turns and with a screw driver just seperate the plates 1/6" and walk away. I end up with dried out brown cake that is syrup free. Do it when its hot. I dont drain the lines just leave it and the next time you start up it will circulate and be just fine.

Jim Brown
03-06-2010, 05:30 PM
We drain when hot (separate the plates)into the pan supplied with the press and put the syrup and the DE back in the next batch to be filtered.Throw the paper and cakes away. In the end we just place in a glass container in the fridge and it will settle out and pour the syrup off.

works for us

Jim

mphvermont
03-06-2010, 10:53 PM
thanks people worked great with the seperating and draining till am. and then mix in with hot batch next day. first time using filter press works great. :)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-07-2010, 01:36 PM
I use the distilled water off of the evaporator and when I am done filtering, I shut off the press and put the discharge hose in a bucket and start sucking plain distilled water into the press and let it run until it is clear coming out of the discharge hose. It usually takes aprox 1 to 1.5 gallons of water and this removes 100% of the syrup out of my 4 bank Lapierre press. I always draw off a little heavy and I use this to thin the next batch, this way I recover 100% of the syrup. Do the same thing the last boil of the seaon and take the recovered syrup/water mixture home and boil it down on the stove.

trackerguy
03-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I pull the suction line up into the air, place the filter outlet and return into the drawoff container, and turn on the press. Make sure you cover the tank, it can spit a little. When it stops gurgling after a min or so there is very little syrup in the press. I crack each section of the press 1/8" or so and let it sit overnight with a sap bucket to collect what comes out. Most of it comes out within 1 min or so if its still hot (seperate sections with a tool - too hot to handle) so if in a hurry I just do that. The rest is chocked up to profit and loss (mostly loss), but it isn't enough to worry about.