PDA

View Full Version : Lead Soder pan Question - Help!

BHMC
03-05-2010, 05:13 PM
I have the opportunity for an older Vermont 2x4 Leader set up. Good deal from family...It's old but been very well maintained. I checked with Leader and they said it was made of English Tin and lead solder :o . I have read that it may be a problem boiling on a pan that old and may cause a health risk to my young childeren. Now... I know that as I walk down a busy street I can ingest lead from the air quailty...I'm not concerned about that!!! Does this fall into the same thing...A whole lot about nothing? I am also told that if I flush the pans after I shut down for the night and not let any sap sit I should be ok. What is the deal with all this info. Should I be worried or not. Thanks for the help!

Haynes Forest Products
03-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Go back to the family that is selling the evap and ask how many of their kids finished 6th grade:lol:

Homestead Maple
03-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Go back to the family that is selling the evap and ask how many of their kids finished 6th grade:lol:

That's an excellent question. I like it. I used the same type evaporator for 4 years and it was during the lead scare. Ifyou remember during that time you could send samples of your syrup to your state ag agency and they would have it tested for lead content. The state said that anything over a 250 parts per billion count that the syrup could be considered unsafe for consumption. Well out of 3 tests my count was never over 10 parts per billion. I'm sure that you will filter your syrup well and that will make a big difference in taking care of any lead if there is any at all. If the pan is as old as you say, it will have a nice patina that has coated any of the lead. Go for it!

maple flats
03-05-2010, 08:11 PM
up until 20-30 years ago all pans were lead solder. As I understand it, don't clean it do make the solder shine. If it has a little carmelizing on it the syrup will pick up very little. When I was growing up we always had maple syrup, never the fake stuff. That was in the 40's-50's. Not even low lead. No problems. My dad, same way. He finally died at 91 with no lead problems.

Flat47
03-06-2010, 05:14 AM
Go and get that rig! If the pan doesn't have any leaks beyond a seap, use it now and upgrade the pan in a couple of years. Like has already been said, don't be afriad of the lead solder. From years of boiling there's gonna be a layer of niter over the solder so it's a moot point. Same goes for some seapage around joints - they'll sugar over, too.

mclonghorns
03-06-2010, 08:28 PM
donnt let it bother u just to many researchers over paid and under worked.