PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

bbrex89
03-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to this magical thing you call sugaring. It's very addicting, I made my first batch, very small batch, last weekend. My wife wasn't to impressed when I came home with three taps in a bag and said I was going to make some syrup. But let me tell you what, the minute she tasted it she practically drove me to the hardware store to get more taps. I may have some questions later down the road but for now I'll read past posts and try and figure it out on my own. I now have 12 taps with milk jugs as buckets. I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible. I think its fun that way. Well, good luck this season and look forward to reading all the great stuff on this site.

Doc
03-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Welcome. I'm still very new here and am learning everyday.
My wife also is hooked!!! She comes down to help me empty buckets all the time. She even bought new rubber boots to keep her feet dry. BLUE FLOWER rubber boots. She's a keeper. :)
Though it is fun to do this as inexpensive as possible...good luck with that!!! :)

Ausable
03-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Hey - If You have the Mrs. Behind you - that is half the battle. If You want to keep it cheap and simple - This Site is great - but - as You see - there are also some Maple Giants here too. But - all - have a lot of good ideas and are helpful. There is also a book called "Backyard Sugarin" by Rink Mann which is very helpful for starting out and "Backyarders" like myself. Hey have a Great First Year making Maple Syrup........... Mike

Doc
03-05-2010, 04:03 PM
"Backyard Sugarin" is a wonderful source of info.
This year I went to local stores and got some food grade plastic buckets that had previously held icing from Dunkin Donuts and have been using them. They come in 2-5 gallon sizes. Enjoy!!!

KenWP
03-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Thats one sad looking dog you have there. I basically made everything myself form used or discarded parts and my brain. I collect anything that will hang on a tree and hold sap. There is only one store within miles sells milk jugs and I try to always pick up a jug there when I am in town just for the jug. I also haunt the backdoors of resturants and such for pails. This year I actually have too many buckets unless I get really storng to carry sap from 200 taps. Sort of keeps a guy busy after a while.