PDA

View Full Version : Brace Tapping Bits 5/16" ???

gomish
03-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Is there any big difference between the very expensive tree tapping bit for +$20 each and the standard 5/16 steel bit for drilling steel, which are about 50 cents??. tapped yesterday, had some difficulty with the cheap steel bit (using a brace). It didn't want to clean out. Since I needed to push real hard, ended up wobbling to much and got the hole at the bark end to big for the spout. I ground the flutes off of the chuck end of the bit (so the back end of the bit would'nt cut) and it worked a little better, but still to difficult to get drilled.:mad:

TF Maple
03-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Try this thread out for this discussion, thx. http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=8392&highlight=bits

gomish
03-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Try this thread out for this discussion, thx. http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=8392&highlight=bits
TF MAPLE, thanks for the help, sounds like the expensive bits do work better & not just paying for hype..

JohnsSugarShack
03-05-2010, 10:37 PM
gomish, I've been using the cheap bits for years. Had a hard time persuading myself to buy the better bit, but this year I broke down and bought the Canadian tapping bits from Bascom's. I must say I should have bought them a long time ago they work great, the hole is clean, and my Ryobi last a lot longer. You won't regret getting the better bit. Some may disagree. Just my two cents worth. Happy sugaring.:)

gomish
03-07-2010, 09:47 AM
gomish, I've been using the cheap bits for years. Had a hard time persuading myself to buy the better bit, but this year I broke down and bought the Canadian tapping bits from Bascom's. I must say I should have bought them a long time ago they work great, the hole is clean, and my Ryobi last a lot longer. You won't regret getting the better bit. Some may disagree. Just my two cents worth. Happy sugaring.:)
JohnsSugarShack I am taking your advice on the 5/16 bit. I had considerable trouble getting decent tap holes with my junk (this is my first time year). IF $20 will end the fight like I had drilling my couple tap holes for next year, I'm spending it,even though I am known for being extremely cheap!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-07-2010, 01:48 PM
I have 2 of the Canadian tapping bits. One is a brand new spare I hope I never need and the other one just finished it's fourth season yesterday and aprox 2200 holes later, just like new. Never had any problems with rust but I store them in a plastic organizer drawer in the off season.

I am cheap too, but that is the best $ 20 I ever spent in mapling.

gomish
03-12-2010, 11:49 AM
I have 2 of the Canadian tapping bits. One is a brand new spare I hope I never need and the other one just finished it's fourth season yesterday and aprox 2200 holes later, just like new. Never had any problems with rust but I store them in a plastic organizer drawer in the off season.

I am cheap too, but that is the best $ 20 I ever spent in mapling.

Brandon, before you bought the maple bits, did you just use a standard bit for drilling steel ( twist steel bit) ?