PDA

View Full Version : Taste????????????????

cpmaple
03-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Just got done boiling drew off about 3 qts and tested taste seems to have a off taste any ideas what it could be.Sap is 5 days old stored in a shaded area. Thinking about dumping the last 75 gallons and starting from fresh but up in the air right now what to do. hope someone can help me chad

highroadsyrup
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Chad, what type of off flavor? Did you check your brix on the syrup as well?

cpmaple
03-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Chad, what type of off flavor? Did you check your brix on the syrup as well?

It was a after taste that didnt go away made me sick to my stomach. So i did what i never wanted to do and dump the rest out the back door of my sugar house. sap had a yellow tint to it so i figured that was the problem and i cleaned tank and pans will start fresh. Kids just hauled in 60 gallons tonight so i will have enough after tomorrow to boil again.

Peepers
03-05-2010, 07:10 PM
There have been a lot of posts on here this year about weird smells and tastes from non food grade plastics. Don't know if our friends in China are throwing more value-add chemicals in our plastic stuff these days or what. Could your sap have picked up any weirdness from anything you collected or stored it in?

I'm sticking to frosting buckets and stainless beer kegs for my sap.

sorry to hear about your loss. :(

cpmaple
03-05-2010, 07:15 PM
peeper i cleaned my holding tank twice with water and vinagar solution and using same collection pails as last year i dont really know what it was but not taking a chance good luck to you this season

maple flats
03-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Are your pails or tanks secure. As strange as it sounds, teen agers sometimes think it funny to put things in there to spoil the syrup. Lets hope the yellow was just a natural turning of the good sap. Some kids have nothing to keep them busy!

cpmaple
03-07-2010, 05:46 AM
:D Got everything clean and squared away now i'm back up and running. Found the problem tank had some foreign stuff in it. Clean and refired evaporator back up late yesterday after noon around 4 boiled till 1100pm and boiled off 100 gallons of the 125 gallons i had in a different tank and what kids collected yesterday afternoon. Hope all my bad luck is behind me now and things move forward for rest of season. Thanks for all the input if it wasnt for everyone on this wonderful site i would be in a world of hurt.
Thank you again,
Chad (cpmaple)
Crown Point, NY

cpmaple
03-07-2010, 05:50 AM
Are your pails or tanks secure. As strange as it sounds, teen agers sometimes think it funny to put things in there to spoil the syrup. Lets hope the yellow was just a natural turning of the good sap. Some kids have nothing to keep them busy!

Live on a dead in rd. Dont believe that was the case think something in my holding tank soured it. So i clean and cleaned and starting over.Also my sugarhouse is 70 yards from my house in the front so i can see that at all time. Close to house keeps the girlfriend happy she dont have to go far to see me. Ha,Ha

heus
03-07-2010, 08:25 AM
My sap still smells like plastic from my 30P tubing. Hasn't affected syrup tast though. 30P definitley isn't made in China.

There have been a lot of posts on here this year about weird smells and tastes from non food grade plastics. Don't know if our friends in China are throwing more value-add chemicals in our plastic stuff these days or what. Could your sap have picked up any weirdness from anything you collected or stored it in?

I'm sticking to frosting buckets and stainless beer kegs for my sap.

sorry to hear about your loss. :(