PDA

View Full Version : Any pictures of Gas Grill with Steam Pans?

PapaSmiff
03-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Does anyone have pictures of using a Gas Grill and Steam Pans for an evaporator. I'm upgrading from my Turkey Fryer, but still working on a very limited budget.

I've got some ideas, but I'd like to see what others have been doing. I'm going to try to set it up so I can use a full-size pan (about 12" x 20"), or set up with two half-size pans - when needed (one sap, one syrup).

I've also got to come up with a contraption to help me remove the hot, half-size pans to empty them into another container, without burning myself or dropping the pan.

morningstarfarm
03-05-2010, 11:46 AM
If you're on a tight budget, and believe me many of us here are, it's going to be much cheaper to get a few cinder blocks and build a little arch than to pay for the amount of propane you're going to have to burn. I believe my first cinder block arch cost me like 50 bucks to build with the stack included. I burned free pallets I found all over town..worked very nicely for many years.
just my .02

valleyman
03-05-2010, 11:54 AM
I found a couple of pics from my collection of examples of various set ups.
Maybe they can be of some help.

Sugar makers are quite creative that's for sure.

Good Luck

PapaSmiff
03-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Valleyman
The first setup seems to be a good use for an old keg. I'm assuming the lower pot is the "syrup" pan.
The second setup is sort of what I'm trying to do, except using my BBQ grill for the heat source.
Thanks

MorningStarFarms
I would prefer to do that, but I live in the suburbs where they have regulations against outdoor wood fires. I know that Propane is much more expensive to operate, but I don't think I have a choice.

Hardway Farm
03-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Don't have a picture of it but we used a bbq , took the lower half of the clam shell portion, cut it off flat and bent a 2 x 4 steel stud [for commercial drywall framing] into a rectangle to match the pan, attached it to the flat shell so that it stood on it's side to set the pan on and off we went. We ended up using it as a finisher more than to boil but it worked slick!!! and the grill was a freebee, all we bought was a new burner and a $5 steel stud.
Ruffy

hanson
03-05-2010, 07:43 PM
I finish our syrup on a gas grill with a full size steam table pan. I just set the pan on the grates. Just make sure you run your depth really shallow. It works great. I bent one corner of the steam table pan up helps aid pouring. I just use my oven mitts to handle the hot steam pan.