PDA

View Full Version : Scorched pan.

Tweegs
03-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Did my first boil Wed. eve. Things were rolling along nicely, good boil all the way back to the end of the pan. Mama gets home from work and I leave her in charge while I go check on the tubing.

I get back just in time to start cussing and dumping gallons of sap in the pan, she took her eyes off it “for just a minute” and let it boil dry.

Thankfully I got back when I did as the damage could have been a lot worse.

Right now I have an area about the size of a sheet of paper (a little high spot in the bottom of the pan) that scorched and some minor warping in that area, but all of the solder joints are still OK on this tin pan. The warping I can fix, but cleaning the gunk off is proving to be a challenge.

Giving some thought to Easy-off, then washing with soap and water and then a real good rinse. Anyone got a better solution?

mapleack
03-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Try boiling water and baking soda in it. Other than that, steel wool and elbow grease.

Haynes Forest Products
03-05-2010, 08:25 AM
EZ Off is ok I used it on my SS finish pans when I did the same put it on heavy and cover with plastic and go to work and when your there have the wife scrub it clean wharing her best white silk blouse. Then she will remember to stop texting during the final stage. Welcome to the club:emb:

Justin Turco
03-05-2010, 08:46 AM
AAAAYYYYaaaaaaa.. Welcome to the club. I try to refresh my membership once a year in one way or another.

One of these 3M pads that has a shaft in it so that it can be used in a drill will pollish the black off. It also will scratch your pan up a bit.. I think I put a little water and soft scrub on the spot before I hit it with the 3M pad. You'll have it cleaned up in no time.

morningstarfarm
03-05-2010, 09:28 AM
god i hate it when that happens...I'd use a steel brush on a wheel that goes into a drill...cleans my tin pans very nicely with no fuss no muss..tin's much more forgiving for scratches than that girly stainless bling stuff...:o :D

Tweegs
03-05-2010, 10:42 AM
So happens I have one of those wire brushes all brand spankety new still-in-the-box. I'll chuck her up and give it a whirl tonight, if that don't work I'll go the easy-off method.

Reaally need to light a fire come morning, tsunami of sap expected today. :D

Justin Turco
03-05-2010, 01:47 PM
A sap tsunami! SWEET!

Bucket Head
03-05-2010, 09:47 PM
I was going to suggest what Justin T. said. I have used those chucked up in an air-powered die grinder. They work great. I have also cleaned up burned on syrup from the sides of pans with an auto-body DA sander with varying grades of sand paper. That works great also. Just use the "finer" stuff. Yes, the coarse stuff will take it right off, but will leave very noticable scratches. The fine stuff plugs up quick, but does'nt do harm to the surface. The surface won't look like the original factory shine, but the scorching pretty much took care of that already.

Steve

sweetwoodmaple
03-05-2010, 10:01 PM
You can also try Acid Rinse or Milkstone remover (available at Dairy stores or Tractor Supply). Warm the pan up with a solution of this and a little bit of water.

Make sure to wear rubber gloves. This stuff is 50% Phosphoric Acid, so it can be very hard on the skin.

I went about 6 years without scorching a pan, then decided in my infinite wisdom to play some music in the sugarhouse one day. It distracted me from removing a cross flow plug and warped one of my two pans about 3/8" deep. 3 hours of Scotchbrite and elbow grease...I was too impatient and angry with myself to use the acid and wait a while.

From now on...it's the music of sap boiling..and that's it. On some of the larger rigs...big mess ups mean big $$, especially the flue pan.

Again...welcome to the club.