PDA

View Full Version : Fan blowing across flue pan?

DaveB
03-05-2010, 06:42 AM
To be clear, I'm getting a good evaporation rate on my new pans but I know that people (including myself) are always looking for a better evaporation rate. So I had a thought while I was watching steam come off my flue pan. What if I put a small fan on there and had it blowing across the pan?

My understanding of a Steamaway is that it channels cold sap and then there is a fan or blower that blows across the 180º+ sap to further enhance the evaporation rate. Would that work on the actual flue pan itself? Does any one have any experience with doing this?

Thanks,

Dave

mapleack
03-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Dave, I think a fan blowing across the pan would actually cool the surface a bit and not help. I remember trying this years ago on our 2x8 and I don't think it did anything noticable. A steam away blows bubbles into the sap to agitate it.

Haynes Forest Products
03-05-2010, 08:33 AM
The steam is from below the surface and a fan will cool it. Having a layer of steam will hold the heat on the surface and will help keep temps higher. Once the moisture has left the pan in the way of steam it aint going back into the liquid unless you cool it and it condenses back as droplets.