PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in NW Pennsylvania (Edinboro)

deacm
03-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Put in my 60 taps today and set up my trusty ol' Leader Evaporator 2 x 4. I've NEVER had to wade through this much snow in my front yard to tap the trees and get the equipment out of the shed. If I hadn't had snowshoes, I would have been able to do NOTHING today. The sap was running just under a second per drip, but only on the south and west side of the tree this afternoon. Hopefully this weekend will be good to us.

Low budget maple
03-04-2010, 07:01 PM
The snow is worse in the woods. Put in 120 yesterday and I feel like I walked in front of a bus today !!

Frank Ivy
03-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Yeah. I'm in Albion. Big pain in the butt. Too much snow pack.

jrthe3
03-04-2010, 09:38 PM
i tapped yesterday and today and hope to finish saturday was on sow shoes the whole time it is the worse i have ever taped in i don't think i going to hang my buckets untill alot of snow melts cause i not gathering buchets on snow shoes

deacm
03-11-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm amazed how little sap ran earlier this week when it was warm during the day and well below freezing at night......and I'm not in the woods........just about 10 trees in the yard...fairly open. I'm getting an average of 1.0 to 1.5 gallons a day. I've gathered about 85 gallons of sap thus far, have boiled twice and have pulled off just about 2 gallons of syrup, so at least it's SWEET sap ! Going to boil tomorrow and then likely shut it down until this warm/rain spell passes.