PDA

View Full Version : Hooked up blower!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cpmaple
03-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Took a old blower out of a camper furnace the other day and hooked it up pushes good air. The only problem is door dont seal 100% and ash flys out what can i do has a cast door from a old blast furnace on it. Any ideas???????

vtsnowedin
03-04-2010, 07:03 AM
The cheapest solution is just use a piece of board or sheet metal to partly block the inlet to the blower. Just slide it back and forth until you find the right spot. Next is a rheostat switch that will let you idle down the motor. $67.00 from Leader. And last is a bigger stack diameter, not practical.

cpmaple
03-04-2010, 07:21 AM
The cheapest solution is just use a piece of board or sheet metal to partly block the inlet to the blower. Just slide it back and forth until you find the right spot. Next is a rheostat switch that will let you idle down the motor. $67.00 from Leader. And last is a bigger stack diameter, not practical.

so you feel its to much air into the fire box also it has a 8" stack about 13' up to get through the roof. I will try cutting air back see what it does thanks for your help see you name says vt where about in vt i'm in crown point ny

Ausable
03-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Hi - I don't have forced air on my home made arch and evaporator - so have no experience that way. But I was once an Electric Generating Plant Boiler Operator and it sounds like you could have too much forced draft air on your fire putting your arch under pressure and the smoke and gas in the Sugar Shack instead of out the stack where it should be. Find some way of cutting back on your forced air so you get the hotter fire you want - but - still have a draft up your stack. Haaaaaaaaaa or you could add an induced draft fan between the arch and stack and eliminate the smoke problem and modify your arch so you could also generate power - aaaaaa better forget that one. Hey good luck sugarin this year --- Mike

cpmaple
03-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Hi - I don't have forced air on my home made arch and evaporator - so have no experience that way. But I was once an Electric Generating Plant Boiler Operator and it sounds like you could have too much forced draft air on your fire putting your arch under pressure and the smoke and gas in the Sugar Shack instead of out the stack where it should be. Find some way of cutting back on your forced air so you get the hotter fire you want - but - still have a draft up your stack. Haaaaaaaaaa or you could add an induced draft fan between the arch and stack and eliminate the smoke problem and modify your arch so you could also generate power - aaaaaa better forget that one. Hey good luck sugarin this year --- Mike

Sounds like the problem to much air gonna go out and work on it soon once i get done with coffee. Gonna boil later today into the night.Other half works night home alone with my beagles so we will boil. Thanks for your help chad

Haynes Forest Products
03-04-2010, 08:07 AM
If its not a issue of to much air I would look at sealing the door. If the door is all warped out of shape then you need something thick like heat blanket. You can get it off Ebay small peices. You can attach it to the arch and let the door seat up to it. It doesnt glue on very well so some small mackins screws or even some with to lace it on with.

vtsnowedin
03-04-2010, 09:53 AM
so you feel its to much air into the fire box also it has a 8" stack about 13' up to get through the roof. I will try cutting air back see what it does thanks for your help see you name says vt where about in vt i'm in crown point ny
Chelsea is just two towns over from Randolph which is the geographic center of the state.
My rig is a Grimm 3x8 with a wood saver blower under it and a 14" dia. stack which I have six feet above the ridge line. With the fan on full bore I can open both doors to load wood and not get any smoke or flames in my face. Just the old style cast iron doors without insulation and the front bottom draft closed. It is just a matter of balancing the amount of air your shoving in with what can get away up the stack.

cpmaple
03-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Took some tin foil and folded it around the edge of the door where it hits the face contact point. That took care of it and now i'm adjusting the air coming in from the blower by blocking of some of the air at the fan cage with a sheet of flashing works. Only temp fix till i can shut down for a bit but right now i'm behind. thanks for the ideas they helped with air. Good sapping to all had good run today.

vtsnowedin
03-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Took some tin foil and folded it around the edge of the door where it hits the face contact point. That took care of it and now i'm adjusting the air coming in from the blower by blocking of some of the air at the fan cage with a sheet of flashing works. Only temp fix till i can shut down for a bit but right now i'm behind. thanks for the ideas they helped with air. Good sapping to all had good run today.
It feels good to have helped someone with a problem. Of course the answers I gave you came from other threads on this site so I
was just a messenger not a profit.
May your sap be three percent and your buckets always full.

cpmaple
03-04-2010, 10:45 PM
It feels good to have helped someone with a problem. Of course the answers I gave you came from other threads on this site so I
was just a messenger not a profit.
May your sap be three percent and your buckets always full.

Thanks for this site that there is so many people that stick by one another and lend help in many different forms. Happy sapping and hope you all a great year.