PDA

View Full Version : Between pan insulation

mike z
03-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Do you normally place insulation between the syrup pan and the sap pan? Can a guy get by with placing something rather thin, (<.25" ceramic blanket or similar)? I'm trying to figure the best way to plum these together and what space between the pans to allow for. Thanks:)

RileySugarbush
03-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I take a strip of 1" blanket, cut it to 1/2" and smash it in there. It is still a little tight to connect up the copper coupling.

mapleack
03-04-2010, 06:52 AM
About 1/2" thick is best, by making it a snug fit it won't fall down into the firebox, did that for years. I tried using the 1/4" woven stuff this year and couldn't keep it in place no matter what, so next year or later this season it'll be back to the 1/2".

vtsnowedin
03-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Bascom's sells blanket in six inch wide strips by whatever you need for length. It's about a half inch thick when compressed between the pans. Putting it between my set of pans that had been plumbed up before without any gasket this was too thick and the short nipples that come through the float boxes wouldn't reach far enough in to get the brass elbow started even without the rubber gasket. I pulled the pan back and split the gasket in half by just pulling it apart carefully with my fingers and reinstalled half of it. Good to go.

dano2840
03-04-2010, 09:28 AM
i took pink insulation out of my attic:lol: it doesnt burn and works just as well as when i used arch gasket, EL CHEAPO! and just as effective!

PerryW
03-04-2010, 10:27 AM
I used a piece of 2" wide arch rail insulation between the pans.

mike z
03-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I see Macmaster... sells thin strips of fiberglass insulation w/ addhesive backing. Not too expensive either. Time to put out some taps. The new system I'm putting together might not be ready for the 1st hlf of the season. Oh well. I knew as soon as the season approached and I had lots to finish, the sap would run early. Did a few test taps last night. The sugars were runnung good, but not a drop from the reds.
Thanks again:)