PDA

View Full Version : Retailer for supplies in CT?

bradley12001
03-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Its my first year and am just doing a small scale hobby operation in my yard. Is there a local CT retailer where I can get filter materials? I am looking for the 24x24 inch orlon and prefilter. I live in SE CT near New London. Can buy it on line but shipping is a killer...

Mike Van
03-04-2010, 04:59 AM
There's Lamothe's Sugarhouse in Burlington Ct, but I don't think you can drive there from New London for the cost of postage.

ctjim
03-04-2010, 05:45 AM
as mentioned earlier lamothes in burlington,ct but thats a hike from new london. you can also try normans sugar house in woodstock 860-974-1235. they're a bit closer to new london and very nice and helpful.

ebourassa
03-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I buy most of my supplies from Norman sugar house, nice people to deal with and they carry a varity of stuff.

bradley12001
03-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks I'll try Normans!

Tanta K
03-05-2010, 06:13 AM
The kind you wear, not the band you hear. They work well if you wash them in hot, hot water first (no detergent), my friend boiled them in a pot and she also used blocking flannel bought at a fabric supply store and that was her "filter" paper and her syrup is as clear as a bell. Just an idea as you're just starting out.

Starting Small
02-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Does Normans have a website or regular hours?

ctjim
02-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Does Normans have a website or regular hours?
best thing is give them a call and let them know what you're looking for and then set up a time for pick up. don't forget many of the smaller local dealers have jobs and also run sugarhouses themselves, so they don't necessarily have a showroom, thats why its best to call first. they may also not have what you want in stock but they can get it usually within a day or so from the factory. but beyond all of that imo its best to support your local businesses.

andysyrup
02-11-2012, 08:40 AM
i have to go to normans some time this week and i work in stonington i go right through new london every day if you havent gotten what you needed yet you can email me and i wouldn't mind picking stuff up for you my email is puckmaster02@hotmail.com

Maple1
02-13-2012, 11:11 AM
Does anyone know a closer retailer that sells Leader Pan cleaner? We live in Bethel CT. Normans and Bascoms are 2 hrs away and wont ship the cleaner UPS. I boiled 9 times so far this year and noticed yesterday that my pan is loaded with scale. Leader Pan cleaner works amazing!

batsofbedlam
02-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Does anyone know a closer retailer that sells Leader Pan cleaner? We live in Bethel CT. Normans and Bascoms are 2 hrs away and wont ship the cleaner UPS. I boiled 9 times so far this year and noticed yesterday that my pan is loaded with scale. Leader Pan cleaner works amazing!
If you have a Tractor Supply near you, you can pick up dairy milkstone cleaner. It is the same as Leader pan cleaner (Phosphoric acid).

Maple1
02-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Sounds good, I heard about it but did not know if it worked as good. Phosphoric acid is phosphoric acid!
Thanks