PDA

View Full Version : Mothra, The Invasion

valleyman
03-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Anybody else getting a whole bunch of moths in the sap buckets. Tons of gnat like bugs too. I remember from last season the little critters but there sure is a bumper crop of moths sipping my sap this season!:o

I carry a small hand strainer in the woods and do some scooping out there and filter the sap again as it enters my storage tank.

NedL
03-03-2010, 11:12 AM
They seem to have come earlier this year. Hopefully with the cold snap they'll go away for a littel while.

ctjim
03-03-2010, 06:57 PM
same thing over here in east ct valleyman, loads of moths and snow fleas. hopefully this cold splee will give them a bit of a shock. i skimmed a lot of them collecting yesterday, and we also filter the sap b4 it goes into the holding tank.

Mike N RI
03-03-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm in Hope Valley, RI just over the CT border. We had tons on Monday's run---some 5 gal gathering buckets must have had 20-30 in each!

SeanD
03-03-2010, 09:05 PM
I averaged 2-3 per bucket yesterday. We just left February and there are moths in the buckets. Gross.

Sean

Dill
03-08-2010, 01:05 PM
I had a sugar moth do a kamikaze run into the sugar house saturday night. Never seen one like it. Probably 10 at night, I had the door open cause I was pumping in the rest of the sap from the gathering tank. A moth came in fast through the door, ran right into the hood and fell into the syrup pan. I've dug plenty out of buckets but that was a new one for me.