PDA

View Full Version : Steam table pan arch improvements

Groves
03-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Homemade dry stacked cement block arch with cement block flue.

As a family man, all I want to do is boil faster. No sense standing around when you could be done and on to other things.

It was this line of thinking that caused me to extend my arch to accommodate another steam table pan, bringing the total to 5.

This worked well enough, so why not more?

Last weekend was batch number 2, so we extended the arch again, and now 7 pans fit.

We also, added some scalloped landscaping edging blocks toward the front, one row on each side of the inside of the arch. Across this span we put some lengths of 3/4 inch black pipe. This is our solution for a grate and man did it make the pans sing!

We didn't even need the blower, and we had all 7 pans boiling.

Now the last improvement. It's really just a shift in philosophy.

You continuous pan guys always run your level shallow because it takes less energy to boil a shallow depth than a larger one. Makes sense.

I had been following that mantra in my steam pans, but then I realized I had been giving up the "giant drop flue" aspect of my steam pans. Midday I switched from running shallow to running deep to take advantage of the screaming hot pan sides.

Wow, I'll never go back to shallow until I get a real pan. If your pans are completely in the fire as mine are, make sure you run em fuller.

Probably things people already know, but if there are beginning guys out there, learn from my mistakes.

SeanD
03-03-2010, 05:48 AM
You are absolutely correct with the depth. It will also help cut down on some of the scorching. Nice idea for the grate. I'll bet the black pipe takes the heat and it's cheap, cheap. I'm guessing you're getting 12-15 gph, now.

How tall is your cement block flue?

BTW, you didn't make any mistakes. You discovered stuff that improves your boil then shared it. That's all good.

Sean

tylerj
03-03-2010, 06:09 AM
Same result here using s.s. sinks in series. The reason I went deeper was that I was getting scorching running it 1 1/2" deep on the front pan. Now its about 4" and it boiled great still. Problem I have now is that I have some scorching in the corners of my front pan and along the one side that is under the sap level. Should I scrub the scorched stuff off and try to get it out of that pan before it gets any further sweetened? I don't want it to affect the flavor. Any thoughts???

valleyman
03-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Groves,
THANKS a bunch.

I'm a four panner and I've been running shallow and scorching. I should of realized about the pans being "deep flues". Everytime I bring the level up, it sings with the cold meeting the hot sides. I should of thought of that.

Cant wait to boil again!

NedL
03-03-2010, 12:50 PM
"We also, added some scalloped landscaping edging blocks toward the front, one row on each side of the inside of the arch. Across this span we put some lengths of 3/4 inch black pipe. This is our solution for a grate and man did it make the pans sing!"

I've been using an old fireplace grate propped up on bricks. I'll be trying your idea this weekend. Thanks!!

RileySugarbush
03-03-2010, 01:56 PM
You are spot on filling those pans a deep as you can without them splashing too much out. It will really help your rate and minimize scorching.

Groves
03-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Here are some shots of the pipes across the edging blocks, the stack (total of 7 blocks high), and the whole arch without the 7 pans on.

http://homepage.mac.com/mcgroves/.Pictures/a1.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/mcgroves/.Pictures/a2.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/mcgroves/.Pictures/a3.jpg

NedL
03-04-2010, 08:29 AM
For my stack I use 5 of the single hole blocks, set the top 2 a little off center and then stick a 6' section of duct in there, cheap way to extend the stack.

valleyman
03-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks again Groves. These pics are very descriptive. Based on your design , I may tweak my firebox (making it go further back) before tapering up to my stack.

Currently I'm using cast iron grates from a Weber grill but they're already warping cause of the intense heat. Once they're gone, I plan on lifting your grate (great) idea.

I'm doing a demo this weekend at a Nature center Maple festival and I'm going to make a small block arch to show people. I'm going to use your grate setup as an example.

Groves
03-04-2010, 09:00 AM
I only used 3 edging blocks on each side at the front, so my fire extends only 3ft into the arch, starting at the top.

At this point, I just keep raking the ashes toward the rear in between boils and using them to make a "ramp". I do have a block in the back on the ground with some cement pavers ramped up to it to keep the hot gasses up by my pan bottoms.