PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Lackawanna County

Z/MAN
03-02-2010, 10:18 PM
I tapped last weekend but got next to nothing last week. They ran pretty good today and looking at the 15 day forecast they should run everyday for 2 weeks. Maybe we can make up for the lost time.:)
Paul

bprzyw
03-03-2010, 01:06 PM
ZMAN,
I tapped 2 weeks ago, 3 taps just to see what was going on. Yesterday i had 6 gallons from the 3 taps, added one more last night. Planning to get the other 20 or so out tonight. Getting ready for the weekend.

innoxen
03-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Tapped 10 trees 2 weeks ago.. Boiled 70+ gallons of sap got a little more than a gallon of syrup... all with roasters and sauce pans..lol.. Need over time work to pay the electric bill.. oh boy... Taps are still but have home ade pans now...currently have another 20+ gallons to boil... all in Noxen.. any thoughts give me a shout... thanks...

bprzyw
03-05-2010, 07:17 AM
Innoxen,
Thats pretty good, all my taps dripped about twice a day for 2 weeks. Then i got home from work yesterday and ended up with 27 gallons of sap. I was smiling. Looking forward to seeing some real good runs this weekend and next week. My trees are down in the back, still quite shaded, doesn't warm up to run till at least noon, then stops at 5-6pm. May the Maple gods smile upon us.
How did the syrup turn out?

Z/MAN
03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
bprzyw, I also got only a small amount of sap for a week and a half. They are coming to life this week and I think we will have a flood from now into the foreseeable future. I'm doing my first boil tomorrow.
Paul

innoxen
03-07-2010, 07:44 PM
hey bprzyw... thanks... all was going well until I had to work this weekend and my back up crew took over.... they boiled all sap done to nothing but they did scrub the pan clean for me.... oh well... we'll see how the next one goes...

bprzyw
03-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Innoxen, Sorry to hear about the burnt pan........(at least the crew took care of it). I am kinda nervous about that also, being a first timer and all. Haven't started to boil yet. Collected about 60 gallons of sap so far. Good luck in the NEAR future.

Z/MAN, Still collecting, wanting to get at least 150 gallons before boiling. little worried about the upcoming weather, and rain. Buried my 55 gallon drums in the snow completely, just to be safe. Still have to level my arch, its got a bad lean to one side. Saturday was disappointing for me, i thought with the warm days, i would have a big run, but wound up with 7 gallons. Sunday was better, with about 24 gallons. How did your boil turn out? Could some of sap flow issues be with the snow pack still on the ground? Looks like its never going to melt.

Hogsgrave
03-08-2010, 10:23 PM
I put in three taps last week following the heavy snow, but saw no sap.

This morning added 8 more taps on four more trees (profile pic). I'll know in the morning if we got anything.

Anybody worried about 50 degrees tomorrow? I'm thinking of burying that barrel in snow.

Z/MAN
03-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Innoxen, Sorry to hear about the burnt pan........(at least the crew took care of it). I am kinda nervous about that also, being a first timer and all. Haven't started to boil yet. Collected about 60 gallons of sap so far. Good luck in the NEAR future.

Z/MAN, Still collecting, wanting to get at least 150 gallons before boiling. little worried about the upcoming weather, and rain. Buried my 55 gallon drums in the snow completely, just to be safe. Still have to level my arch, its got a bad lean to one side. Saturday was disappointing for me, i thought with the warm days, i would have a big run, but wound up with 7 gallons. Sunday was better, with about 24 gallons. How did your boil turn out? Could some of sap flow issues be with the snow pack still on the ground? Looks like its never going to melt.
My boil Saturday was very good. Went thru my 30 gallons of sap in no time at all. My trees are getting better but still not flowing great. I read somewhere here that they need the rings melted around the trees for them to flow right. Don't know if that is true but something is holding them back and it could be all the snow.
Paul

bprzyw
03-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Hogsgrave, Welcome.
Everyone here is willing to help. I have been worried about the temps gettting up there, so i buried my barrels. Hopefully the sap will increase. I have good days (20-27 gal) and bad days (yesterday 7 gal). Still a lot of snow on the ground here. Hoping to be boiling sunday. Good luck!!

bprzyw
03-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Z/MAN, well if its the snow, i hope it leaves fast!!!:lol: yesterday was a 7gal day for me. hopefully today will be better. I might try a tap or two on the north side of the tree. Maybe it will flow longer into the PM. Glad to hear your boil went well. congrats.
B

bprzyw
03-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Paul,
I have boiled and sweetened the pan yesterday!! pulled 2 gallons off. I was nervous at the last 2 inches in the pan and the fire roaring, so i shut it down, and pulled it off. will be finishing tonight. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Bernie

Z/MAN
03-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Well, the forecast looks like we will finally have sap weather for a week or so. Hope the buds don't come out on us. I cleaned my buckets and pails and washed out my mainline. I have only made 2 1/2 quarts of syrup this season,:cry: for 50 taps that S--KS! Hopefully this is going to be a BIGGG SAAAP run!!!!!! I need it. Built a new evaporator and still have not seen a great boil off of it.
Paul

bprzyw
03-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Paul, 2.5 quarts is better than none at all, all depends on how you look at the glass.?... I have pulled all my taps, and cleaned most everything up. Looking at 40 taps next year on tubing (maybe). Forecast looks good for the next few days. Good luck.
Bernie

Maplewalnut
03-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Paul-

I decided to give her hell also. My reds have all budded but looks like sugars are hanging on so I'll be collecting buckets lots of buckets. I am also going to experiment with reaming some holes. I figure a quick burst of sap is all I am looking for anyhow. If I can get 4 -5 days of sap that will be almost 40% of what I have gotten all year. Clean all my equipment and hope for some B grade, afterall I sell the most of that through the year. I hope to produce so much steam neighbors will think a fog rolled in!

Mike

Z/MAN
03-26-2010, 08:40 PM
I can't believe that after waiting for it to finally get below freezing, it stayed below freezing today. It got down to 27 last night but only up to 31 today. I came home from work expecting a good run and found about a gallon in the tank! I knew it was bad when the dusting of snow we got this morning was still on the ground in the shade at 4:00 pm this afternoon. Hard freeze coming tonight, already 25 degrees and expecting teens by morning. Please god let it get warm out tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEED SAP!