PDA

View Full Version : Maple Coated Pecans

valleyman
03-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Made up a batch of pecans tonight for a Maple Festival this weekend and I had to put a sign on the container: DO NOT EAT OR FACE DEATH.
My kids were wolfing them down. Delicious:D

kinalfarm
03-02-2010, 08:57 PM
do i dare ask for the recipe or is it a secret?

Toblerone
03-02-2010, 09:53 PM
My brother-in-law brought up a bunch of pecans from Georgia over Christmas and I just roasted them in a pan with some butter until they just started to brown and become aromatic. Be careful they can burn easily. Then I poured in enough syrup to coat all the pecans, then a little more. Cooked it until it was all bubbly and gooey then transferred to a sheet pan to cool. Everyone loved them... the first batch was gone by the time the second batch was done.

valleyman
03-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Toblerone's recipe sounds awesome. What I did was more basic. I used 8oz Sryrup to 1 lb nuts. I have the nuts warming in the oven while I heat the syrup in a small pan to 242º.(Technically, 32º over boiling water) Then I pour in the nuts start stirring then take the pan off the heat and continue to stir until coated and they lose the glossiness.

It happens quick and use a wooden spoon cause it gets tough to stir was it cools down.

Then just spread them out on a cookie sheet in a single layer.

Wait a while before closing them in a container.( Better hide the tray or they will be missing)

I did a search on mapletrader for "maple coated nuts" to get my start. Same ratio for any nuts.

I use Dry roasted peanuts doing the same thing for another great tasting treat.

Gary in NH
03-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Valleyman, I made a batch of pecans by following your recipe exactly and they came out great! I used some Fancy grade syrup from my first batch of the season. My wife's book group was over the house so I made them a dessert with vanilla frozen yogurt topped with the maple coated pecans and some more of the Fancy grade syrup and a pot of percolated coffee made from maple sap to go with it and got rave reviews. Thanks for posting the recipe!

buckeye gold
03-17-2011, 10:17 PM
I been doing peanuts, almonds and pecans and they are outselling my syrup right now. I use 5-6 oz of syrup per pound. I heat the syrup to about 232 and that's as high as I can go...I believe due to my elevation. However I have learned to watch for that creamy texture and even a slight whiff of almost scorched then remove from heat and stir in nuts. It's important to stir until they are not glossy as the syrup will run off. I also found if you put them in the oven wet the syrup runs off. I let them air dry after they get so stiff it's hard to stir. They are definitely a hit.

valleyman
03-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Hey Buckeye,
Thats good to hear on the amount of syrup you use and still get a great product. I will try your recipe to reduce some of my syrup amounts.

valleyman
03-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Hey Buckeye, Valleyman again,

Are the almonds plain or dry roast salted, ect?
And what about walnuts? Ever coat them?
Thanks

Dan W
04-24-2011, 10:08 AM
I just finished a pound of walnuts. It is amazing how gooey it gets then all of the sudden it all starts drying up and voila, there is the finished batch. It is now 11am and if I don't have somebody hide them from me they might be gone by noon! Thanks for the recipe.

buckeye gold
08-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Hey all, I was just killing some time today and decided to browse the site....haven't come on much since Maple Season. I see some of you had comments on the nuts. I did find out my thermometer was in error so I was getting 240-242 degrees after all. However, lower temps will work but not as well. I still am using 5-6ozs of syrup per pound with good results. If they don't want to dry fast then put them in a convection oven at 170 degrees or lower until dry. My first attempts at drying in the oven were a failure, because I was at too high a temp and my syrup wasn't hot enough when mixed. I truly think anything from 236-242 will work, but the 240 range dries faster. I have been taking these to the farmer's market with me and they are a huge hit.

All the nuts I am glazing are salted.

nymapleguy607
09-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Made my first batch tonight and all I can say is I wish I tried them sooner.

PapaSmiff
09-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Has anyone tried using a Maple Cream Machine (paddle type) for stirring the nuts? If so, has it worked out?

I don't own one, but I'm hoping to build one for the coming season. I also want to make coated nuts, but I dread all of the stirring.

3rdgen.maple
09-28-2011, 10:13 PM
It doesnt take but 15 minutes to stir the nuts.

red maples
09-29-2011, 08:29 AM
I have been wanting to try coated nuts. I am gonna try this next week!!! DO you use salted or plain roasted nuts? I know every where is different for prices how much do you sell them for? and what sizes do you sell?

red maples
10-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Wow why haven't I tried this earlier. Super easy and tastes so darn Good!!! MMMM nuts!!!

valleyman
10-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I was just looking in Restaurant Depot yesterday to price the pecans and they're expensive there too. Like 45.00 fro 3.5 lbs! No way. I was hoping to find pecan halves for less than 10.00lb. Not gonna happen. BJ's use to sell pecans for 10.00 for 24 oz. Now they made the bags smaller (16oz) and still charge 10.00

To that end I was sell pecans in small 2 oz bags for 3.00 and I always sell as many as I have. (which isn't much because I'm just a hobbyist) Typically I make up only 1 or 2 lbs before an event.

Peanuts are very reasonably priced and delicious too. I sell them for 2.00 for a 2 oz bag. I'm going to make some almonds and walnuts and see how they sell.

Chief62
10-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Im in Tn. right now at the in laws, just got 3 shopping bags of them, there just laying out in the yard. Just got to shell them.

valleyman
10-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Sure Chief, rub it in! :D